Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Updates

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Jove

Jove

• Members
  • 2,739 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:58 AM

Posted 22 September 2008 - 07:29 PM

I'm not 100% positive that this isn't my misunderstanding, but I have a few question that concern Windows updates, and

one of these concern the control of updates, as I have had an installation delivered today, I saw the little yellow shield in my notification window and moved my curser to it thinking that it was a D/L,
that arrived, mobing my curser on it, I found that it was downloading, . .

I right clicked it to see if there were some options, nothing, now, . .

Posted Image

What is wrong with this picture ?

As you can see, I have the, " Notify me but don't download them automatically" Checked

This isn't the first time, last week I had Windows unzip a file into my PC, at the speed of light, when I touched that Yellow Icon with my curser. These D/L's are not in my Add and Remove File, if they are, they are not dated, (there are a couple of entry's that are not dated), but I have show dates clicked, I think it might be this recent D/L, but can't be sure since the last one not dated was there on 8/25, and there has been one since(in betweenthat one and this).

Either I am not doing something right, the computer is not doing something right, or Microsoft Windows is not doing something right ?

Is it possible, that some bad guys have a new toy. and I'm the only one who knows about ?

You know it is !

The other thing is, if I haven't forgotten the answer from another time I may have asked it,

is it possible to know what is being injected into my PC's veins, before hand ?

Please straighten me out on this thing !

When you don't have to worry about your computer anymore, you can start
living again !

vrwqzc.gif
Success is a result, not a goal. . . . Flaubert

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnWho

JohnWho

Who was running the store?

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2008 - 08:33 PM

Are you using Windows Defender?

I'm wondering if Defender's updates come in through the "Windows Update" methodology.

I know you think you understand what you thought I said,
but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!

#3 Jove

Jove
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,739 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2008 - 08:41 PM

OK, but shouldn't these things in general be a little more identifiable ?

Like I could hardly recognize the yellow shield it wasn't very detailed in registration as far as I'm concerned, . .

I do have Prevx, and it must be running since the very last, (a few minutes ago), I received a msg., that it was trying to establish an internet connection, to detect the newest threats,. .

so I do have a couple of anti v and m's, but another thing is I have also discovered a program file in Downloaded file folder, it was, WUWeb Control, I am not sure when it was downloaded,
but the properties in General tab, state that it was accessed, 9/21/08, I definitely do not recall accessing this yesterday, could that date, be the date it was downloaded to my PC ?

Oh, sorry John Who, no I'm not using Defenders !

Edited by Jove, 22 September 2008 - 08:48 PM.

living again !

vrwqzc.gif

#4 Jove

Jove
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,739 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2008 - 11:16 PM

I just re-installed my Printer as I shut down the update downloading started ? This is the second time today, now there is another sitting there, the same yellow icon, . .

Can anyone suggest what is going on ?

living again !

vrwqzc.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users