Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No Sound

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 ok1

ok1

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:17 PM

Posted 22 September 2008 - 03:34 PM

I am running Windows XP home edition with Service Pack 2. I have an Asus A7v333 mother board with integral sound by Creative.
After fitting a new hard drive following a failure of the first one I found that there was no sound. I checked the Device Manager and found a number of error question mark symbols, so I went to the Asus site and downloaded new drivers, which after updating from Device Manager fixed the problem.

The problem I now have is that each time I start the computer the sound again doesn't work . In Device Manager once more, updating attempts give a message to the effect that it cannot find the required info. but if I delete the Creative file and reboot, the system recognises something is missing and opens Detect New Device Wizard to install files again. Then all is well again, untill the next time I turn on.

Can anyone tell me how to make the updates permanent?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,399 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:17 AM

Posted 22 September 2008 - 03:38 PM

Did you remove all the old drivers...before you do these install-overs?

That might be a contributing factor.

Louis

#3 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:17 AM

Posted 22 September 2008 - 05:13 PM

Did you go to ASUS's website and download the latest driver?

#4 ok1

ok1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2008 - 09:01 AM

Thank you Hamluis
Yes, as previously mentioned, I only deleted the "Creative SB Audigy" file which sits in the Sounds folder within Device Manger.

Would, or do you suggest deleting everything sound related within the DM then reboot/reinstall as I have been?

Thank you for your help.

#5 ok1

ok1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2008 - 09:02 AM

Thank you Cryptodan, Yes I have been to their web site

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,399 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:17 AM

Posted 23 September 2008 - 10:06 AM

In Device Manager...I delete anything that is there which is not functioning properly...or which is not installed on my system currently.

If a device used to be installed/used...and now is no longer such...I remove those drivers.

I would remove anything related to the onboard sound function...as well as any items such as I have described above. I would uninstall anything that shows up as a troubled device currently...reboot...install drivers from the motherboard CD which came with the system (and which, presumably, worked before).

Typically, I don't let XP search for drivers...I use the browse option to point it to the folder where the drivers are. I do let the system/motherboard drivers CDs autorun if they have that capability.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 23 September 2008 - 10:09 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users