Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Router Issues! Please Assist :)

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Just Heather

Just Heather

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:10 PM

Posted 22 September 2008 - 03:25 PM

I do pretty well when it comes to computer applications, but I seem to be needing some assistance in the networking department.

About a month ago we updated our Comcast service to inlude the home phone service. Which of course meant getting a new modem. All works great, until we try to set up the router. This all worked fine before the 'change'. Now all we get when the computers are hooked up to the router, is a page stating that it couldn't find the DNS server etc....

This is where I am a little lost and could use any help! The computers work fine when just one is connected to the modem, but not through the router. We have tried resetting the router, re-pinging it... What do I do now?

Thank you! :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bleepingnetwork

bleepingnetwork

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:10 AM

Posted 24 September 2008 - 03:10 AM

Just a few questions in which you may have already looked at but could help in diagnosing the problem.

Are you able to get to the routers URL address? If so is the router set for DNS? also check the firewall on the router if it has one.

Check you local machines firewall?

if your using DHCP are you recieving an ip address, sm address, and gateway from the router? "go to the command promt and type ipconfig /all".

If you are statically assinging your network addresses, is the router setup for your local machines information?

Maybe try in a command prompt "ipconfig /displaydns" see what your getting. it maybe an old entry in there, if so try "ipconfig /flushdns" to release the old entry and then "ipconfig /registerdns" to get that all cleared out.

do you have a Hosts file thats directing you to another DNS server that is having issues with the change. the host file is in C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc. copy it and open the copy with notepad.

Of course make sure everything is plugged in physically first...look for the link light on the router and the network card on the machine.

Just a few things to look into, I hope one of em helps.

GoodLuck

BleepingNetwork

#3 mackoko

mackoko

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:10 PM

Posted 24 September 2008 - 05:42 PM

Just make sure that the dhcp on your router is enabled. also make sure that your nic card is automatically obtaining an ip address :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users