Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Multiple Problems

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 wan2me

wan2me

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:58 PM

Posted 22 September 2008 - 01:04 PM

Hello,
I am new to this forum, but desparate for some help. I have many problems which I think stem from one major problem.
1. I have lost my "Start" menu options, to include the "Start" icon at the bottom. I don't have the "Search", "Run", nor any of the other programs listed to the side of the "Start" menu.
2. I cannot download any help software as I keep getting the message that "Your current security settings do not allow this file to be downloaded." I can't change my "security settings" because (see problem #3).
3. I have lost my "Tools" and other icons on the top Taskbar.
4. I can not open any other file because I keep getting the message: "The application failed to start because the application configuration is incorrect. Reinstalling the application may fix the problem. I can't reinstall anything because I was deployed and left my Windows XP disc in storage.
5. I had my computer infected with spyware, but after I finally got it removed, that's when all of these problems started.
6. I keep getting the message: "Scripts are usually safe. Do you want to allow scripts to run?" and I can't get rid of that.
7. I have also lost the ability to minimize a window; I will lose it all together and have to start all over again by reopening Internet Explorer.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:58 PM

Posted 22 September 2008 - 01:10 PM

Can you boot into safe mode?

And thank you for your service in the US Military. It is greatly appreciated.

Edited by cryptodan, 22 September 2008 - 01:11 PM.

#3 Hawg

Hawg

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:58 PM

Posted 22 September 2008 - 01:12 PM

What you are describing is consistent with severe malware damage. This is a difficult situation as you know. One thing I do when faced with sort of thing where the computer is essentially unusable is to employ a second computer to download tools to a flash drive. I also remove the hard drive in the stricken pc and add it as a second drive to a healthy, (protected) pc. From there I can scan/fix things with anti malware utilities. You're in a tight spot. You need to find or borrow and healthy pc. Trying to fix this pc AT this pc sounds like it would be very difficult at this time. Will it recognize a flash drive when inserted?

#4 wan2me

wan2me
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:58 PM

Posted 22 September 2008 - 01:18 PM

To Cryptodan:
You are welcome and thank you for responding.
I can boot in Safe Mode, but can not do anything that fixes the problems. I also can not do anything under the Command Prompt.

To Hawg:
I don't have another working computer as I have a Compaq with XP, but on that computer I get an error message stating: "\WINDOWS\system32\c_437.nls is missing or corrupt", so, that's why I bought a new computer... the one I'm having problems with now.

#5 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:58 PM

Posted 22 September 2008 - 01:20 PM

Try creating a new user in safe mode and try the new user. Could be a corrupted profile issue.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users