Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Starting Up The Old Pc After 4 Years

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 Kryptonite

Kryptonite

• Members
  • 139 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:44 PM

Posted 22 September 2008 - 09:52 AM

Just finished tunning up this old Win 98 Pent II computer about 4 years ago when a new and better one came along. This one has been sitting in a cool dry closet since then and I'm ready to see what's one her.

Does plugging her in for a few hours before hitting the on button help the Cmos battery in anyway? They were brand new just before I sent her to the closet.

If not I'm not sure that I remember which screen I'll get and where I go to to set the date and other parameters.

I'll look around some in old posts but I'm not sure that I remember what that's called? Start up screen? Press F something until a dos screen appears.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kryptonite

Kryptonite
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 139 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2008 - 10:03 AM

I found that F8 will get me to safe mode but when I do a "search" for: "setting the date and time" I get this message:

The error returned was:

One or all of your search keywords were below 4 characters or you searched for words which are not allowed, such as 'html', 'img', etc, please go back and increase the length of these search keywords or choose different keywords.

Does "the" and "and" negate the search?

#3 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2008 - 10:37 AM

If the date and time are incorrect, that would indicate a weak motherboard battery. You set the date and time in the BIOS
Different computers access the BIOS in different ways. What make of computer is this?
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#4 Guest_Abacus 7_*

Guest_Abacus 7_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 22 September 2008 - 12:34 PM

Some use Delete Key, some use F1 Key

When it first starts up it will tell you what BIOS you have, I think from Memory?

Just that will Help?

You change the Time and Date in the BIOS. BTW a New Battery is quite inexpensive, but even after a New Battery you will need to adjust Time and Date in the BIOS.

I had forgotten this? It has been a few years? Try Right clicking on the Time and Date shown on Start up into Windows? Click Open, Then alter it there! I am using XP now and it says Adjust Time and Date? I have a feeling that WIN98 was a little different? but look for something similar? It will adjust the BIOS, only thing if it changes on next Boot up, you need a new Battery, Mate.
Try that and Post back?

:thumbsup:

Edited by Abacus 7, 22 September 2008 - 01:14 PM.

#5 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2008 - 12:55 PM

Some use Delete Key, some use F1 Key

There's also F2. On some older ones it's also a combination of keys (although highly unlikely)

Edited by garmanma, 22 September 2008 - 12:56 PM.

Mark
Posted Image

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits

#6 Guest_Abacus 7_*

Guest_Abacus 7_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 22 September 2008 - 01:03 PM

Maybe the Right click on the Date/Time will get him out of Trouble?

It has been a wee while for me on WIN98SE, Mate.

I do remember that it used to alter the BIOS just the same, but a flat Battery would change that!

Edited by Abacus 7, 22 September 2008 - 01:07 PM.

#7 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 22 September 2008 - 01:08 PM

When you boot up, it might tell you what to press for set-up.

#8 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2008 - 03:05 PM

You dont have to change Date/Time in BIOS, if you change it in Windows98, the changes will be reflected in BIOS automatically.

The CMOS battery is a 3 volt coin cell, which expires after usually 2 years of use. You computer was sitting there for 4 years but the battery was charging the BIOS, so consider replacing them. Batteries kept like that tend to show erratic behaviour like overflow of current. Also just putting power on for few minutes will not re-charge the CMOS batteries.

To replace CMOS battery open motherboard and search for 3V coin cell.

Posted Image

The cell will be locked by a clip. Push the clip to one side and the cell will pop out. Now push the new coin cell and the clip will automatically lock it.

Edit: Keep the polarities in mind when replacing batteries.

Edited by Romeo29, 23 September 2008 - 08:48 AM.

#9 Kryptonite

Kryptonite
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 139 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:44 AM

Posted 23 September 2008 - 07:07 AM

Pulled the cover for a visual; no corrosion on the batteries.

i plugged it in and it's just been sitting there until now. In a few minutes i will push the on button and see what i got.

Will let you know.

BTW the computer is a Quantex purchased Sept 29 1997

#10 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:44 AM

Posted 23 September 2008 - 07:18 AM

There's a strong possibility that you don't have a standard coin-type battery.
Mark
Posted Image

#11 Kryptonite

Kryptonite
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 139 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2008 - 07:20 AM

So this is unexpected: no monitor.

i no longer have a CRT monitor which the computer came with but i had an Envison lcd on it before it got stored. The monitor i'm using on her now is an HP lcd. Can that result in no picture?

i'll double check my connections.

BTW the computer was kinda loud when it starter ( sounded like the cpu fan...it's quited down some...i think i forgot how noisy this computer was from the start.

#12 Kryptonite

Kryptonite
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 139 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2008 - 07:48 AM

Changed monitors...nothing. No what? Pull the video card and try to reset it?

The computer gave me a series of beeps when i pressed the restart button and after it was on a few seconds it gave me: 3 quick...pause, 1 beep(s)

#13 Kryptonite

Kryptonite
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 139 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2008 - 07:50 AM

There's a strong possibility that you don't have a standard coin-type battery.

Yes it's a coin sized battery.

#14 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2008 - 09:01 AM

Some computers give 2-3 beeps when going in standby mode.

Anyway, you should see BIOS related display when you turn the PC on. If you nothing then check the VGA connector cable that connects motherboard.

I bet after a long time, there maybe cable connection problems. So why dont you dis-assemble the whole thing, clean it contacts and assemble it back.

#15 Kryptonite

Kryptonite
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 139 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2008 - 09:24 AM

Some computers give 2-3 beeps when going in standby mode.

Anyway, you should see BIOS related display when you turn the PC on. If you nothing then check the VGA connector cable that connects motherboard.

I bet after a long time, there maybe cable connection problems. So why dont you dis-assemble the whole thing, clean it contacts and assemble it back.

Looking more closely now than i did three years ago and with a somewhat better trained eye; i can see lots of places that can be cleaned. Get all of my cleaning stuff, tools and static strap ( does anyone really wear them anymore ) and clean her up.

It's possible to pull out the batteries and either A replace them ( can't seem to find anyone who has a chart for Quantex ) or pull them out and check them with my Volt Ohm meter, but i really wanted to see the start up screen if it comes to that before i replace. It's not the cost of the batteries it's set up the bios info that i forgot how to do.

But lets say worse case scenario i have to replace the video card how would i install drivers if i can't see the screen?

Thanks for your suggestions

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users