Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Won't Start Up.

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 dteneyck

dteneyck

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:17 AM

Posted 22 September 2008 - 09:40 AM

I have an old HP computer using windows XP. When the remnents of hurricane Ike passed thru our electricity was nocked out for 3 days. When power came back, I tried to start my computer and got nothing but the following message:
Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
<Windows root>\system32\hal.dll.
Please re-install a copy of the above file.

I can't get past this error. I don't have a copy of XP. There is a lot of valuable data that was entered just before the power crashed that I need to recover.

Please help!!!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2008 - 10:59 AM

If you can borrow a XP disk (same version, Home or Pro), you can use it to access the Recovery console.
You can buy an external hard drive case for the drive and use another computer to get the files
Use a live Linux CD,Bart CD, or UBCD to rescue what you want
http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/

http://www.ubcd4win.com/
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2008 - 06:48 PM

The HAL.DLL error is one of the errors that happen during the bootup process while NTLDR is doing it's thing (just before the splash screen shows, and ntoskrnl.exe starts to load).

There are several reasons for this. The most common fix is to run chkdsk /r to repair the file system. The next most common is replacing the copy of the file with the copy in the dllcache folder. Beyond that, I'd have to suggest the FIXMBR, FIXBOOT, and BOOTCFG /REBUILD commands in the recovery console.

It wouldn't hurt to perform a hard drive diagnosic either (most common diagnostics are listed here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/28744/hard-drive-installation-and-diagnostic-tools/ )
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 Om3ga Dave

Om3ga Dave

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2008 - 08:36 AM

Did you run a CHKDSK /R on the drive?

I've ran into trouble with that file along with the Registry HIVE BSOD.
Back up my hard drive? How do I put it in reverse?

#5 dteneyck

dteneyck
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2008 - 10:07 AM

I got an XP disk and tried to re-install it as garmamma suggested. It came up stating that the C drive was empty.

What I really need is the data off of it. Is it possible to connect the C disk to another computer, name it as another drive and pull off my data? How do I do that?

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,399 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:17 AM

Posted 25 September 2008 - 12:22 PM

Hmm...what was the exact message...when you attempted your reinstall?

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users