Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Lotus 123 Error Message

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 edeng

edeng

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:55 AM

Posted 27 April 2005 - 03:51 PM

I have been using Lotus 123, Ver 5 (and prior versions) for many years and have been using a specific file since 1987 without ever having encountered the error message: "Out of Memory". Now I get it if trying to enter data or even move a minimized window of the file. I also turned off "undo" to reduce the memory reserved for that without effect.
Using windows 2000, 1.3 GHz CPU, 512 MB memory, lots of excess disk space on two hard drives (40 GB and 80 GB).
File size is @ 630 k and Norton Disk Doctor usually shows 150-160 MB of Physical Memory available afer files are loaded.
I reinstalled 123 and the same error occurs.
IBM now owns Lotus and will offer no assistance since Ver. 5 is too old, even though I also recently purchased the current Ver 9.8 but have not purchased a service contract! :thumbsup: Absolutely nothing on their web service site pertaining to "Out of Memory" errors. Can't use Ver 9.8 for this file because it will not read the numerous macros in it.

Does anyone have any idea why this should pop up after all this time and a cure?
Any suggested ideas to try will be sincerely appreciated. Email replies welcomed.

[B]I use this file essentially every day and am in crisis !!!!![B]

edeng

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,675 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2005 - 03:52 PM

What happens if you shut down all running programs including virus scanners and antispywar eprograms and try again? Remeber to turn these back on afterwards.

#3 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2005 - 04:17 PM

Way back when I was using Lotus, whenever I came across this problem, I ended up redesigning the spreadsheet eliminating as many visual enhancements as possible, or moving parts of it to a second linked spreadsheet, or redesigning from scratch.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users