Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Video Card Compatibility Confusion

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 smugzug

smugzug

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:02 PM

Posted 22 September 2008 - 04:24 AM

Hi there

I am hoping to upgrade my older computer with a new video card. Unfortunately I have no idea how to check to see if a videocard will work with my system... Now I do know how to find the specs, just don't know what the important ones are=). Could you folks please give me some tips for identifying the important quantifiers while shopping around? Like u can only choose from cards that say this or that... Thank you.

My model number is a1330n, and it's an HP pavilion. The spec listing says I have a pci express slot, but man this stuff is confusing=).

Thank you very much, I really appreciate it!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 smurfgod

smurfgod

• Members
  • 446 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:02 PM

Posted 22 September 2008 - 05:32 AM

You have 3 different options.
1) a regular PCI card. A very bad idea, the technology is ancient and your onboard will probably outperform it anyway.
2) PCI-Express X16. It is the longer *probably black* slot with the little clip on the end of it. Its the most widely used. Anything from Nvidia 8000 series or better uses it (most 7000 series too). ATI started using it with x###. Then they ditched the x part of the number and stuck an HD on the end of it.
3) PCI-E 2.0 Same interface, just faster i think.

Basically, long story short as long as you DON'T buy an AGP card, you can use it. One thing to note though is you need to make sure if the card needs its own power supply plug, you have the correct one. Mine uses the standard 4 pin molex that all PSUs have had probably since the dawn of time. Most use a 6 pin PCI-e plug, some use 8 pin, Some use none at all, just look at the pictures of the card carefully before you buy it to see if you need an adapter or a new power supply.

This is going to be a very long list but here's what my favorite internet seller has for your slot.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList....alue=696%3A9641

****The following only matters if you are a gamer, or someone who would like to save money****
One more thing to note, Nvidia(GeForce) used to break down their series numbers nicely. The first digit in the 4 digit series number is what series it is, 4xxx - 9xxx, higher the newer. The second digit tells you what the card is for. x0xx-x5xx is general purpose, surfing, chatting, office whatever. x6xx is the budget gamer card. x8xx is the high end gamer card. Which for all intents and purposes means that the 8800 will run your games better than a 9300, even though the 9300 is newer.

Hope I answered at least some of your questions, if you have any more post back.

Edited by smurfgod, 22 September 2008 - 05:34 AM.

#3 smugzug

smugzug
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:02 PM

Posted 22 September 2008 - 01:22 PM

Thank you so much. Shook alot of the confusion out.

Thank you!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users