Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Do I Need Net Framework 2.0?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Eagle7

Eagle7

• Members
  • 267 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:11 PM

Posted 21 September 2008 - 09:13 PM

Hi Folks,

I'm running a 4.5 year old HP Compaq Presario Desktop with XP Home, SP3 on it. I'm writing to ask if I should even be running Net Framework 2.0 or should I go back to the old 1.1? I think I downloaded 2.0 a while back because a program I installed required it. Yet, it came up in another forum recently that I "shouldn't be running it, don't need it." I did take a quick look at a Knowledge Base article that told me how 2.0 was different than 1.1, and I gotta say, their jargon is way above me, and the things I do on this computer. Sure would appreciate some guidance on this issue. I have a 80GB hard drive, with just over 55% free space left, and have 1MB of RAM installed. Thanks so much.

Cheers,

Edited to clarify - 1 GB of RAM, sorry

Edited by Eagle7, 21 September 2008 - 10:57 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 trashcan7

trashcan7

• Members
  • 402 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:11 PM

Posted 21 September 2008 - 09:28 PM

If you don't have any programs that need it, then just uninstall it. Because I don't think it has any other use than being some [insert computer jargon] for certain programs.

Edit: Woah, w8, 1 mb of RAM? Is that 1 gb?
Also, if you're not sure about wether or not to uninstall it, I'm pretty sure it's not harmful and it seems like you still have plenty of space. Although Net Framework, does take up a lot of space.

Edited by trashcan7, 21 September 2008 - 09:29 PM.

#3 Eagle7

Eagle7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 267 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2008 - 10:56 PM

Sorry, that is 1GB of RAM.

How would I know whether or not I need to keep 2.0? Sorry, but I can't remember which program said it needed it, and whether or not I still use it. Wish I could be more helpful, but I know nothing on this particular subject. Thanks.

Cheers,

#4 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:11 PM

Posted 22 September 2008 - 05:24 AM

You have to figure that out yourself. If you're using a program that needs it, keep it. If you don't know, no one here is going to be able to tell you. That's not reasonable.

Edited by frankp316, 22 September 2008 - 05:26 AM.

#5 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:11 PM

Posted 22 September 2008 - 05:51 AM

Id keep it, as you may run into programs that need it.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,853 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:11 PM

Posted 22 September 2008 - 09:34 AM

In every case that I've experienced...a program will let you know if you need to install Net Framework in order to function properly.

Thus far, I've only run into two: ATI drivers and nLite. But I also understand that some games need it to run properly.

FWIW: NET Framework 3.5 is the most current version, http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...;displaylang=en

Louis

#7 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,074 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2008 - 06:44 PM

If you need v2.0, the installer will prompt you for it when attempting to install a program. Until then you won't need it.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#8 Eagle7

Eagle7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 267 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2008 - 10:02 PM

Thanks Everyone for your replies, much appreciated!

John, should I uninstall 2.0 and reinstall 1.1 or leave well enough alone? Thanks so much.

#9 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:11 PM

Posted 23 September 2008 - 04:13 AM

Leave well enough alone.

#10 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,074 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2008 - 01:37 PM

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it!" :thumbsup:

Leave it alone, it won't hurt - and it'll be there if it's needed.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#11 Eagle7

Eagle7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 267 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2008 - 09:41 PM

Thanks so much, will do. I appreciate your help.

Regards,

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users