Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No Internet Connectivity

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Atlastwo

Atlastwo

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:50 AM

Posted 21 September 2008 - 09:10 PM

I seem to have an issue with my computer. I did do an ipconfig at the command prompt and can see the ip address.

Zone Alarm stops win32 services from accessing the internet and stops the internet from accessing my computer.

I have run HjT and can provide a log. I also can provide a log from Combofix as well. I can find no Virus or malware that has not been removed.

I've run bootvis but have not seen anything that throws up a red flagto me but then again I have enough knowledge about computers to get myself in trouble and so am looking for help.

Anything you can do would be appreciated.

Atlas

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Atlastwo

Atlastwo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2008 - 10:05 PM

Hope I'm not talikin to myself but here goes. My laptop from which I am posting this seems to work fine with the router I have. I just was looking an my desk top (the one I am having a problem with) and noticed the ethernet indicator light was not on so I started thinking I may need a new card when I tried the cable in my laptop and it seemed to function fine. I looked inside the desk top and it seems the ethernet component is a part of the mother board. I decided to try it again and when I plugged the cable in and started up the computer again the light came on the router and the desktop... then a half minute later the light was out again... am having fun now... any suggestions?

#3 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:50 AM

Posted 21 September 2008 - 10:14 PM

You could try these standard fixes:

Log on as an administrator, go Start > Run and type: "cmd". In the window that appears type: "netsh winsock reset". When the program is finished, you will receive the message: "Successfully reset the Winsock Catalog. You must restart the machine in order to complete the reset." Close the command box and reboot your computer.

Go Start > Run > type: "cmd" In the window that appears type: "ipconfig /flushdns". Close the command box.

Go Start > Control Panel > Network Connections. Right click on your default connection, usually Local Area Connection or Dial-up Connection if you are using Dial-up, and and choose Properties. Double-click on the Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) item. Select the radio button that says "Obtain DNS servers automatically". Reboot. Warning: Some Internet Service Providers need specific DNS settings. You need to make sure that you know if such DNS settings are required before you make this change.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#4 Atlastwo

Atlastwo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2008 - 11:19 AM

So I did the things suggested and it seems to have had no effect. I went back re-engaged the local area connection as I had turned it off.

The thing I don't get is if Zonelarms firewall is stopping both and outgoing connectivity attempts and an incoming activity attempts what is preventing explorer from connecting? Zone alarm even showed a few bytes of both incoming and outgoing connectivity before I locked the computer from the interenet...

is there a virus that attacks in this way?

Edited by Atlastwo, 22 September 2008 - 11:20 AM.

#5 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:50 PM

Posted 22 September 2008 - 11:57 AM

Disable Zone Alarm and see if the issue continues. If it does then ZA isnt the issue.

#6 Atlastwo

Atlastwo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2008 - 12:30 PM

ZA in not the issue.

I reinstalled ZA to try to see if anything was connecting to the internet. I can do ipconfig a the command prompt and see the data I should see... But when I try to open explorer I get and error that the computer cannot see the internet... zone alarm says something is reaching out from my computer and somethingis reching into my computer... they are now being blocked by ZA... I have been trying to connect the computer back to my router and in going through the set up process it tells me that it cannot find the internet and that it is an issue with the TCP/IP and to repair it... however it will not repair.

#7 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2008 - 12:40 PM

Try this: Fix Winsock Errors in XP

#8 Atlastwo

Atlastwo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2008 - 12:46 PM

thx... I will give it a try?

#9 brentmd

brentmd

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2008 - 12:55 PM

Atlastwo,

I would suggest going into ZA's control center. Find the setting "Internet Zone Security" and if it currently is set to "High" lower it down to "Medium". If it already is at "Medium" zone then do this:

1. Start
2. Run
3. Type: cmd
4. Type: ping www.yahoo.com
5. Type: ping 209.191.93.52

When you do the ipconfig command what "IP" address is it showing?

Post your results.

Edited by brentmd, 22 September 2008 - 12:56 PM.

#10 Hawg

Hawg

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:50 AM

Posted 22 September 2008 - 12:58 PM

At the command prompt, can you ping a major site like yahoo or google?

Have you tried an alternate browser?

#11 Atlastwo

Atlastwo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2008 - 01:13 PM

I have tried to ping google and had no success...

I have no other browser and cannot get a new one without connectivity.. unless I can fit it on a travel drive that is...

#12 Atlastwo

Atlastwo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2008 - 02:20 PM

ipconfig comes back with the following:

connection-specific DNS Suffix: hsdi.or.comcast.net.
IP address......: 192.168.1.100
SUbnet MAsk....... 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway 192.168.1.1

and here is the strangest part... I had my fiancee do the ipconfig at home cuz I am at work...

she gives me the info and then on a lark I aske her to try to open an internet session so I could get the info one the error message and she says ok I'm at google now what...? I'm like wth??? so anyway I had her surf a bit but she said it was slow on youtube but that she was able to get around...

Guess I will see what is what when I get home...

#13 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2008 - 02:35 PM

ipconfig comes back with the following:

connection-specific DNS Suffix: hsdi.or.comcast.net.
IP address......: 192.168.1.100
SUbnet MAsk....... 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway 192.168.1.1

and here is the strangest part... I had my fiancee do the ipconfig at home cuz I am at work...

she gives me the info and then on a lark I aske her to try to open an internet session so I could get the info one the error message and she says ok I'm at google now what...? I'm like wth??? so anyway I had her surf a bit but she said it was slow on youtube but that she was able to get around...

Guess I will see what is what when I get home...

Seems like your fiancee has the magic touch. Id say marry her tomorrow.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users