Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't Access Some Sites E.g Yahoo

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Shupy

Shupy

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:49 AM

Posted 21 September 2008 - 06:53 PM

Suddenly (last 2 days) I cannot access certain sites that I regularly visit e.g. Yahoo (for checking secondary email account), a local weather radar and many other sites won't load up either. I was surprised when I was able to access BC. Also my AVG will not update. I have tried everything I can think of. Running AVG, Adware, etc. Can anyone help?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Shupy

Shupy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2008 - 08:34 PM

This matter may now be resolved. I contact ISP support and they found two items in Device Manager which had a red X on them. They were "Efficient networks enternet P.P.P.o.E. adapter" and "SIS 900 PCI fast ethernet adapter". After enabling those and checking a few other settings I can now access all sites.

#3 Shupy

Shupy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2008 - 02:54 AM

No, it is not fixed. Now is happens at random (after bootup) whether I can access all sites. Sometimes it's good, other times I am back to the situation of not being able to access all sites.

#4 Phantek

Phantek

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:49 PM

Posted 28 September 2008 - 11:49 AM

Do you have any firewall or anti-virus or other security software on your system? If so, try and disable it and see if that fixes the problem. It is possible that anti-virus programs sometimes filter out web pages thinking they are problematic (yes, even yahoo sometimes). If that does not work, let us know what security programs you are using.

#5 Shupy

Shupy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2008 - 07:48 PM

Thank you for your interest Phantek. I am running Windows XP, Service Pack 2. I use the Windows Firewall and AVG Free. Ver 8. I have tried disabling the Firewall and AVG but it made no difference. I also tried disabling all running programs but same result. When it is running in restricted mode, I can still send/receive emails, go to my Bank webpage and do internet banking. No problems there, but try to access Yahoo or some other site and it times out. This morning when I switched the computer on, I was in restricted mode. I rebooted and everything was back to normal. I have been using AVG Ver 8 for some months now and it hasn't been a problem in the past. Although a problem did arise recently with the Email Scanner. It switched to "Not Active" and I cannot get it into Active mode. I don't know if these problems are related. See my topic "AVG Email Scanner-not active" in SECURITY-Antivirus, Firewall etc.

#6 Shupy

Shupy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2008 - 04:40 PM

Just an update on this. My internet access the past 4 days has returned to normal. I can now access all sites. My email scanner switched to "active" mode about the same time.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users