Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Multiple Blank Pages?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 sherrylynne

sherrylynne

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:03 PM

Posted 21 September 2008 - 06:13 PM

At times, after I've opened 3-4 tabs,when I try to close one of them I suddenly get all kinds of tabs opening on me right across the screen. The first few will be the one I've just tried to close, but the rest will be blanks. The only thing that stops it from continuing is a restart, because I cannot close any of them. There have been up to 12 before. I'm sure if I let it go on, there would be many more!
I run AVG anti-virus, Ad-Aware, and Reg Cure regularly. And they are all up to date. My operating system is Windows XP Media. Any ideas how to stop this? Or is it just something I have to live with?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Box In A Bag

Box In A Bag

• Members
  • 165 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2008 - 07:07 PM

This is not something you have to live wiht because it is not supposed ot do that. What type of internet browser do you use?

What version is it (i.e. Internet Explorer 7)?
Posted Image
Intel Core2Duo E8400 wolfdale 3.0GHz OC'd to 3.8GHz 38C/39C maximum,

---Call 9-1-1 for emergencies.... or just post at Bleeping Computer---
------------Your friendly CVCOG 9-1-1 Network Administrator-----------

#3 trashcan7

trashcan7

• Members
  • 402 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:03 PM

Posted 21 September 2008 - 09:31 PM

Yup, definitely something is wrong with the computer.
Yeah, what internet browser is it? Try reinstalling it.

#4 sherrylynne

sherrylynne
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2008 - 08:11 PM

It's Internet Explorer 7. And I have no idea how to uninstall/reinstall :thumbsup: .

#5 Box In A Bag

Box In A Bag

• Members
  • 165 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2008 - 08:22 PM

Hmmm, I did some research and found that the IE7 Pro add-on can cause these type of issues, you may want to check to see if that is installed. Check under add/remove programs for the IE7 Pro add-on.

If you do have it, remove it, and reboot your computer. Try it than and see if it still ahs the same problem. Let us know what happens.
Posted Image

#6 sherrylynne

sherrylynne
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2008 - 10:33 PM

I just checked. No IE7 Pro add-on, or even a Pro add-on, nothing. Thanks anyway!

#7 Box In A Bag

Box In A Bag

• Members
  • 165 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2008 - 11:26 PM

Ok no problem, just a check :thumbsup: .

Do you have any special features in your browser that you like to use??? i.e. yahoo toolbar, google toolbar, etc.?

If not than we can proceed, if you do, what are they and would you be willing to reinstall them?

Ok here is what I would like you to do, if you do not have any toolbars or are willing to reinstall them, than follow what I say below.

This is a simple step to reseting your internet explorer back to its default settings. Keep in mind this will change your homepage and most likely delete cookies and such, so usernames and passwords may have to be re-entered.

1. Open Internet Explorer 7.
2. Click Tools, and then click Internet Options.
3. Click the Advanced tab.
4. Under Reset Internet Explorer Settings, click Reset.

That is it, your IE7 is reset to its original state when it was first installed. This is also a good way to determine if there was a add-on that you had or did not know you had that was causing your problem, please let us know if the problem continues.
Posted Image

#8 sherrylynne

sherrylynne
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2008 - 01:07 AM

Well, I reset IE to the original settings. Let's wait and see what happens :thumbsup:. Thanks!

#9 wombat_1945

wombat_1945

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:03 AM

Posted 23 September 2008 - 04:00 AM

It's Internet Explorer 7. And I have no idea how to uninstall/reinstall :thumbsup: .

Here's how to uninstall IE 7 from Microsoft... http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927177
Wombat's: Bulldozers of the bush...

#10 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:03 AM

Posted 23 September 2008 - 06:05 AM

Can you go to Start then Run type in cmd the do the following:

1) ping 24.227.161.120

2) ping cryptodan.com

post your results here.

Im think it is a DNS ISsue.

#11 sherrylynne

sherrylynne
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2008 - 07:33 AM

As I've said, I really don't know what I'm doing :thumbsup: , but I followed the ping commands above. All it did was show a black window, received a reply, and was gone too quickly for me to realize what had been written there. Sorry. Nothing otherwise!

#12 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2008 - 07:46 AM

As I've said, I really don't know what I'm doing :thumbsup: , but I followed the ping commands above. All it did was show a black window, received a reply, and was gone too quickly for me to realize what had been written there. Sorry. Nothing otherwise!

Did you go to Start then run and type in cmd then hit enter

Edited by cryptodan, 23 September 2008 - 07:46 AM.

#13 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:03 PM

Posted 23 September 2008 - 01:39 PM

If it starts doing this again, go to Start...Run...and type in "iexplore -extoff" (without the quotes) and press Enter.
This will launch IE7 without any add-ons installed. Try that to see if you can access the pages (leave the other instance of IE7 open so you have something to compare it with).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#14 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2008 - 01:41 PM

If it starts doing this again, go to Start...Run...and type in "iexplore -extoff" (without the quotes) and press Enter.
This will launch IE7 without any add-ons installed. Try that to see if you can access the pages (leave the other instance of IE7 open so you have something to compare it with).

Its also located in Start ------> All Programs ---------> Accessories ------------> System Tools

#15 Box In A Bag

Box In A Bag

• Members
  • 165 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2008 - 02:36 PM

Hopefully your issue gets resolved, resetting the explorer should have taken it back to a default state, if it continues you could suspect malware problem.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users