Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Shutdown Error

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Mr. Workman

Mr. Workman

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:57 AM

Posted 21 September 2008 - 06:06 PM

Recently I started to receive an error message during the shutdown process. A error message dialog pops up with stating "Device I/O error" and has the timer or end now option buttons. Obviously this slows down the shutdown option!

My equipment is a HP (Compaq)6710b with Win XP Pro.

How can I determine which device is causing the error? I have reviewed the Device Manager and nothing is indicating an error.

This error MAY have started to appear shortly after the installation of an HP 4385 print/copy/scan.
By going to "My Computer" from the Desktop, there is two icons for the HP printer. Under "Network Drives" is "Photosmart C4380 series (192.168.0.104) (Z:)" and under "Scanners and Cameras" is "Photosmart C4380 #2

Thanks in advance for any assistance!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 trashcan7

trashcan7

• Members
  • 402 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:57 PM

Posted 21 September 2008 - 06:15 PM

You could try to figure out if that is causing the problem by uninstalling those. Then see if the problem continues.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,554 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2008 - 07:15 PM

You can check Event Viewer for errors.

I/O device errors (when I have them) are usually involving a drive...either a hard drive or an optical drive. Event Viewer should reflect an error for such, IMO.

How To Use Event Viewer - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/40108/how-to-use-event-viewer/

As for the printers...I would simply delete both printers currenty reflected...and then reinstall the printer and accompanying software.

It's not unusual for a printer to be reflected twice, in my experience, if it has been reinstalled without deleting the prior install. My laser printer does that when I reinstall it while trying to eliminate some problem with it.

Louis

#4 Box In A Bag

Box In A Bag

• Members
  • 165 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2008 - 07:23 PM

This is out of experience with my old pc repair job:

Did you have a different printer installed before the HP, and if so, what kind?
I ran into alot of problems with lexmark printers. Alot of people would uninstall their lexmark printer than install a HP or dell or such, and just have all sorts of problems. The thing is, the lexmark printer likes to stick around and cause "collisions" the two wont get along and you can run into issues.

Edited by Box In A Bag, 21 September 2008 - 07:29 PM.

Posted Image
Intel Core2Duo E8400 wolfdale 3.0GHz OC'd to 3.8GHz 38C/39C maximum,

---Call 9-1-1 for emergencies.... or just post at Bleeping Computer---
------------Your friendly CVCOG 9-1-1 Network Administrator-----------

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users