Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

9.21.8 I Have A G3 Ibook Which Is Infected With "xp/vista Antivirus."

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 BarryMonty

BarryMonty

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:01 AM

Posted 21 September 2008 - 05:44 PM

9.21.8 I have a G3 iBook which is infected with "XP/Vista Antivirus."
Hello,

I have a G3 iBook which is infected with XP/Vista Antivirus.

The OS is OS 10.3.9. I also have a black Mac PowerBook with firewire running OS 10.1.5 which I do not think is infected. I also have a DMI 250 GB HD which I don't think is infected.

I found your site by Google search "XP/Vista Antivirus."

I noticed that all your fixes were for Window machines. Do you have something for Mac?

I have an old Virex 7.2.2 but there was no help on their site. At Apple, .Mac is no longer and they seem to have no way to update my .Mac software. The search on the Virex site could not find a reference to this virus.

When the Virex 7.2 finishes a search, it finds 11 files which it could not scan. Are these the XP/Vista files? It's too bad they did not design the program to have me go to these and deleat them? How could a Window virus infect a Mac?

They, Apple, also insist that I update my Safari 1.3.2, but the updates are for only OS 4 and 5.

It probably seems ungrateful, but how do you tell who is on the level and who is a fraud? This Virus seems to be a fix and is not. What is the purpose of the virus? Just their fun or are there more sinister reasons for their clever work?

Thanks, BarryMonty,

Edited by garmanma, 22 September 2008 - 02:03 PM.
email address removed

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:01 PM

Posted 22 September 2008 - 01:55 PM

Those fake virus and security programs are only installed with ActiveX enabled, and they only attack Windows machines.

#3 Buddyme2

Buddyme2

• Members
  • 702 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:01 AM

Posted 22 September 2008 - 04:19 PM

Any and all Windows bugs will not affect Mac OS X in any way. I've had a few pop-ups saying my Mac is infected with so and so Windows virus, always gave me a chuckle, anyway I just X them out and if I can't I just turn off the browser and back on.

#4 BarryMonty

BarryMonty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2008 - 10:11 PM

9.22.8 update by Barry Monty:

Thanks to the two of you who responded.

I have installed ClamXav, and it seems to be searching the folders I first asked. there seem to be no issues with the instalation. I learned what terms Mark uses but were not intuitive to me as a newbe.

But I have found no virus yet. I selected folders like Library, Documents, all the browsers. I'm now watching the spinning wheel work its way through Users. Can any one tell me where these viruses hide?

I have set the watch on all the browsers to watch for them The XP-Vista seems to pop up when I'm using Safari. It knocks out whatever Google alert I'm reading.

I have screen shots of the virus in action, but I can't post it here. The insert immage wants a http. I have only "picture 4.pdf". Is there a way to show the screen shots in action?

Thanks

#5 Buddyme2

Buddyme2

• Members
  • 702 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2008 - 10:42 PM

Have you enabled Block Pop-Up Windows in Safari Preferences?
Try deleting cookies or emptying cache, logout of your account and back in.
The other thing you can try if the above doesn't work would be to Reset Safari but it has some drawbacks like removing any saved user names and passwords or other AutoFill data and clears Google search entries.

#6 BarryMonty

BarryMonty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2008 - 11:29 PM

Buddy,

Thanks for the reply,

1st the screen shots:

(For others)

Got your message but no screenshot. Open the screenshot with Preview.app > File menu >( not Save As) but "Export" > Save it as a JPEG, you can then attach that saved jpeg to a reply in your forum post.

Dragging and dropping does not work to "Insert image". It wants the "URL".

But they are on my desk top as JPEG.

Again, a Windows virus WILL NOT affect Mac OS X in any way. What you are seeing is a pop-up, it's not a virus.

I read your pop up ideas but will have to work on them tomorrow.

Thanks,

#7 Buddyme2

Buddyme2

• Members
  • 702 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2008 - 11:45 PM

Dragging and dropping does not work to "Insert image". It wants the "URL".

But they are on my desk top as JPEG.

Oops, sorry about that. After reading the Help pages I've found out that in only certain forums here one can add attachments, I've gotten use to adding attachments to my posts in other forums. Anyway you need to upload the jpeg file to an image hosting site like Image Shack, Flickr, Photobucket etc. and link the file to here, "Insert Image".

#8 BarryMonty

BarryMonty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2008 - 12:14 AM

Buddy and the committee,

I tried a Gmail reply back to you. I put them in the body of the mail. But the mail was "permanently rejected."

What's the issue guys? Are we sensitive to Mal ware?

Any way, need to work on this tomorrow.

Thanks for all your help, Barry

I thought the screen shots were a pretty good idea when I took them.

#9 Buddyme2

Buddyme2

• Members
  • 702 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2008 - 12:45 AM

PM sent

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users