Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Remote Access

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3 replies to this topic

#1 twiztidjuggalo666

twiztidjuggalo666

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:59 PM

Posted 21 September 2008 - 04:58 PM

i would like to first off say that i am a highschool student and the computers we have at our school are to say the least , incompetent

it would be nice to have fast internet and be able to access my home files and alot of websites that i use for research are blocked by the school

some of the sites are blocked for no reason and some are.

for example when i was in grade 9 (im in grade 11 now) we did russian history and there was a video on youtube that had voice clips of stalin and other valuble information, however the schools computer blocked youtube and when i asked a teacher if i could use they're account for research it turned out that i wasnt allowed to download flash player so i couldn't even see the video.

i have discovered a website that allowes remote access to your home computer. i know that the website isnt blocked at my school however i have yet to try it to see how well it works. the website is https://secure.logmein.com

the problem with this is that on a free trial account you only get 2 hrs to use their features and you have only 30 days to use those two hours and that wont help me as each class i have is 80 minuts long and i dont have the money to pay monthly for their features.

what i would like to know is; is there a website that is free but offeres the same features as logmein?

any and all help is greatly appreciated

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Jonny Walker

Jonny Walker

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:59 PM

Posted 21 September 2008 - 05:07 PM

is that what you are looking for VNC ?
you can try http://www.tightvnc.com/

Edited by Jonny Walker, 21 September 2008 - 05:08 PM.

#3 Bear

Bear

• Members
  • 342 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:59 PM

Posted 21 September 2008 - 05:08 PM

It's the schools computer so they have the right to block anything they want to. I doubt anyone here will help you with this.

Edited by Bear, 21 September 2008 - 05:09 PM.

Posted Image

My System Specs

Comptia A+, Network + & MCP certified.

#4 KoanYorel

KoanYorel

Bleepin' Conundrum

• Members
  • 19,461 posts
  •  
  • Location:65 miles due East of the "Logic Free Zone", in Md, USA
  • Local time:07:59 PM

Posted 21 September 2008 - 05:17 PM

The use of VNC at your school is probably illegal.

Per our board rules:

No subject matter will be allowed whose purpose is to defeat existing copyright or security measures. If a user persists and/or the activity is obviously illegal the staff reserves the right to remove such content and/or ban the user.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/boardrules.php

Bear is very correct. The School gets to set the rules of use themselves.

//This topic is closed.
The only easy day was yesterday.

...some do, some don't; some will, some won't (WR)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users