Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't Get Rid Of Smitfraud

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Jinx_615

Jinx_615

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:44 PM

Posted 21 September 2008 - 02:41 PM

My grandson (17+) was surfing and became infected with the Vista 2008 virus. I was able to clear most using spybot search & destroy in conjunction with AVG free 8.0. However, everytime spybot runs it still finds Smitfraud. But when I request fix it tells me that it can't fix because program is in memory (in use). Then request to run at start up. but the same happens at start up. spybot finds the smitfraud but can't rid it. I have booted in safe mode (compag presario w/XP home SP 3) and tried running spybot form there, but same result. By the way, AVG is not finding anything. it scans everyday at 5:00am.

Here is what spybot S&D says about it: Smitfraud-C.: [SBI $12AFAB04] Program directory (Directory, fixing failed) C:\WINDOWS\privacy_danger\

Please help if you can. Jinx_615 :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:44 AM

Posted 21 September 2008 - 04:21 PM

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind...mp;#entry944365

Hello, let's start with this scan.

Please download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and save it to your desktop.
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users