Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

First Custom Built Computer Project

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 ejames82

ejames82

• Members
  • 404 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:43 PM

Posted 21 September 2008 - 11:37 AM

i had a custom "nova" computer given to me. the motherboard is an ABIT-BE6-II. i have read many good things about this motherboard. the particular items that i like are the Fcable and s-video ports. i tested the hard drive and power supply on a separate computer, so i know that they work. this is my first "real" project.
there is no internet connection supplied to the unit. only mouse, keyboard, and monitor.
the hard drive is a maxtor with 30GB storage and xp installed.
the power supply is a viomax ATX model AT500.N ITEM:PW606. additional information written on it are as follows;

INPUT: 100V-127V/6A 60 Hz
200V-240V/3A 50 Hz

OUTPUT: +3.3V +5V +12V -12V -5V +5VSb
MAX(A): 30A 50A 25A 0.8A 0.5A 2.0A
OUTPUT: 500W

i am fairly confident that i have everything connected properly, with the exception of the hard drive. the only vacant ribbon cable was assumed to be the hard drive connection.

when i tested the computer, it showed several screens. none of them were the typical windows screen that i am familiar with. then, it displayed a screen similar to this:

Diskette Drive B: None Serial Port(s): 3FB
IDE Pri. Master None Parallel Port(s): 37B
IDE Pri. Slave None SDRam at Rows: 0 1
IDE Sec. Mast r None
IDE Sec. Slave None

PCI Device listing
Device Class
IDE Controller
Serial Bus Controller
Simple Comm Controller
Network Controller
Multimedia Device
Multimedia Device
Multimedia Device
Mass Storage Controller
Mass Storage Controller
Display Controller
ACPI Controller

verifying DMI pool data.........

after over half an hour of seeing this screen, i decided that it may never change. was i wrong for thinking this way? should i have levft it alone and given it more time to process? do any of you experts who have encountered this type of situation have any advice that could help me get this computer to where it is operating properly?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2008 - 01:40 PM

IDE Pri. Master None Parallel Port(s): 37B
IDE Pri. Slave None SDRam at Rows: 0 1
IDE Sec. Mast r None
IDE Sec. Slave None

It's not recognizing your hard drive. It's not seeing a CD drive either. See if they're recognized in the BIOS
Make sure the hard drive is plugged in correctly, to the proper plug on the motherboard. Also make sure the jumper on the hard drive is correct. This is an older model, while you're in there, I would change out the motherboard battery

Edited by garmanma, 21 September 2008 - 01:42 PM.

Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 ejames82

ejames82
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 404 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2008 - 08:43 PM

Mark,

"It's not recognizing your hard drive"

is this statement in that says this, "IDE Pri. Master None Parallel Port(s): 37B"?

"It's not seeing a CD drive either"

what do you see there that shows you this?

"See if they're recognized in the BIOS"

i'll try everything i can think of to make this happen.

"Make sure the hard drive is plugged in correctly, to the proper plug on the motherboard"

this is iffy, as the HDD was removed before it was given to me. there was the only vacant ribbon cable, and two disk drives were still installed and plugged in. the vacant ribbon cable had two terminals. does it matter which terminal gets plugged into the HDD? i read somewhere that it doesn't.

"Also make sure the jumper on the hard drive is correct."

the drive was put in a test machine and worked nicely. the test machine always has only one drive.

thanks again. you help me quite a bit

#4 smurfgod

smurfgod

• Members
  • 446 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:43 PM

Posted 22 September 2008 - 02:18 AM

The CD drive should also be listed under your IDE devices.
If the cable you had in there plugged into the hardrive then its the right kind. AFAIK there is only the 40pin HDD/optical cable and the 34 pin Floppy cable http://www.kitchentablecomputers.com/drcables1.htm That's not saying that the cable is good, it could be your problem, just that its the right kind.
With the machine only having one harddrive it needs to be jumpered to either Master or cable select.
The IDE cable has 2 sets of plugs. The one on the end is Master, the one in the middle is Slave. There may be a way to run a single cable to your CD and HDD, but I don't think there is. AFAIK the HDD needs to be plugged into the Master on one of the cables.

#5 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:43 PM

Posted 22 September 2008 - 04:32 AM

Verify your HD and optical drive are plugged into the black IDE ports, not the blue.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#6 ejames82

ejames82
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 404 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2008 - 05:11 PM

my first computer project didn't flourish like i had hoped. i feel that i can make headway better if i am able to use less. if i eliminate the CD, DVD, and floppy drives from the picture totally, this will make things alot simpler. they can always be added later, or never. being my first project, i don't know how to do this software-wise. hardware-wise, it's a piece of cake. remove screws, unplug terminals, and remove the drives. can this be done, and is this adviseable? i don't want hardware that is unnecessary to be conflicting with what is needed. all i want is the bare essentials. the cables to the CD, DVD drives, and the flippy are buried under ribbon cables are not accessible in a user-friendly way which makes unplugging/plugging them inconvenient, that's why i want to get rid of them permanently.

i have tried a different ribbon cable for the hard drive and it didn't make any difference. also i tried unplugging the power plug for the hard drive, to no avail.

thanks for all replies, and links.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users