Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Spec Advice.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 tj960

tj960

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:02 PM

Posted 21 September 2008 - 11:23 AM

Hey, well I am looking at building a new computer. I have already got a list of specs and prices ready, but I dont know if I could upgrade them to suite my needs more, or if I'm over-doing the sepcs. I will be using the computer for; every day use, coding programs, hosting a range of servers, and backing up website documents, I will also be recording LOTS of music to release on my myspace profile.

Here are the current specs that I have;
Part Price
AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 6000+ 3.00GHz (OEM AM2) 54.95
Corsair 4GB PC2-6400 C5 XMS2 (2x2GB) 49.95
nVidia GeForce 9500GT 1GB PCI-E 47.95
500GB Samsung Spinpoint F1 502IJ SATA2 7200RPM 16MB cache 38.95
Abit motherboard AX78 AM2 Phenom AMD 770 DDR2 dual PCI-E x16 SATA 3G RAID ATX 45
Samsung TS-H492C CD,DVD,CDRW Black 6
580W XPower Light ATX PSU 49.99
Arctic Cooling Freezer 64 Low Profile AMD Cooler 8.95
Jet Turbine ATX PC Case 39.99
Total 341.73

If people could tell me if the computer is good to suite my needs, or if the specs are a little too high and I could save money, or if I am missing any parts, that would be great :thumbsup:. Im also very new to building computers, so would some one be able to give me some advice on how to build my computer? I was going to get the case, then add parts when I get them, and connect them to the motherboard.

TJ960

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:02 PM

Posted 21 September 2008 - 01:28 PM

That's damn near the same setup I just built and I'm happy with it
I would get a little bit better power supply. I used a 750w Seasonic. Don't skimp on a cheap brand.

On another note- I love the AX78, I hate the American distributor. Their RMA department does not exist. They simply ignore people, figuring they'll go away.
Their support forums are OK
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 rigacci

rigacci

Fiorentino

• Members
  • 2,604 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2008 - 03:15 PM

I notice that the motherboard supports RAID (doesn't say which but usually RAID 1).

You would gain total redundancy by picking up another hard drive ($40 is a good price) and mirror the 1st drive.

Redundancy gives peace of mind..... :thumbsup:

Good luck.

DR

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,421 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:02 PM

Posted 23 September 2008 - 03:26 PM

Some guides: http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=h...+build+computer

How To Build Your Own Affordable, Quality, Fast Computer!! - http://www.mysuperpc.com/processor.shtml

Louis

#5 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2008 - 09:45 PM

What operating system are you going to use? You will need a 64-bit OS in order to use all 4 GB of RAM. That looks like a good PC, I would suggest getting a PSU from a better known brand such as Corsair or Silverstone.

3939.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users