Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Uninstall Not Working

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Billermo

Billermo

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:51 AM

Posted 21 September 2008 - 11:10 AM

This just recently began to happen on my computer, which I've had for a couple years now.

When trying to uninstall a program now, I get this message:

Preparing to remove...

Followed soon after by this one:

The Windows Installer could not be accessed. This can occur if Windows is running in safe mode, or if the Windows Installer is not correctly installed. Contact your support personnel for assistance.

If I attempt to do this using Add/Remove Programs in Control Panel, I get the same message except that it says "Error 1719:" first.

Any help would be very appreciated.

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,364 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:51 PM

Posted 21 September 2008 - 11:22 AM

Try running a System Restore.

Start> All Programs> Accessories> System Tools> System Restore.

When this opens make sure that "Restore my computer to an earlier time" is chosen, and click on Next>.

The dates appearing in bold are the dates that you can restore to, click on the date that you want and then click Next> to start the System Restore. This may take a long time to complete, and when it is done it will restart your computer. When the computer restarts and you have logged on as the administrator a Restoration Complete page will appear, click on OK to complete the process.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,397 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:51 PM

Posted 21 September 2008 - 11:31 AM

Additional info: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315346

Louis

#4 Billermo

Billermo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2008 - 11:35 AM

Thanks very much for the fast reply. But... Is there some other way? I have just installed Service Pack 3 and went through my computer carefully deleting lots of old useless files (duplicate mp3's, photos and other files), which has taken hours of work to do.

If possible, I'd like to avoid doing a System Restore to an earlier time before I'd done these things, and then need to redo all of them again. Is there no way to actually repair it?

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,364 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:51 PM

Posted 21 September 2008 - 11:57 AM

The System Restore will not effect any files other than those that are part of Windows. If will not effect your personal files or other applications that you've installed.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 Billermo

Billermo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2008 - 12:03 PM

Wouldn't it affect the Service Pack that was installed though? If so, I expect the Updates will detect that it's needed and there's a chance after it does and reinstalls the SP3 again, we'd be back to square one on this.

So are you saying there is no way to repair it other than System Restore? What about running the Windows CD to repair it?

If this is the only way, I suppose I will try to do it as you recommend. But I'd be interested to know if another option exists.

Sorry to be a pain in the rear on this.

#7 Billermo

Billermo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2008 - 12:34 PM

Louis

I just attempted Method 2 and came to a dead end. WHen I attempt to install the Windows Installer 3.1, I get an error message that the Service Pack I have is more recent than this version, so there is no need to install it.

#8 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:51 PM

Posted 21 September 2008 - 12:37 PM

Louis

I just attempted Method 2 and came to a dead end. WHen I attempt to install the Windows Installer 3.1, I get an error message that the Service Pack I have is more recent than this version, so there is no need to install it.

Can you repair the installer?

#9 Billermo

Billermo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2008 - 01:08 PM

Can you repair the installer?

When you say "repair the installer" what do you mean exactly? That is what I'm trying to do. On the page sent to me by Hamluis, I chose the option of reinstalling the Windows Installer. The other option was to 'reregister' it. I dont' see any option for 'repair'. When trying to reinstall it, apparently some restriction set in XP Service Pack 3 blocks the Windows Installer installer application from putting it back on.

Note I did the steps in Method 2 of the recommended solution to this from Louis on this page: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315346, and I think it may mean that I've manually uninstalled Windows Installer 3.1 from my machine already through cmd.exe

By the way, I did also try a System Restore to a point previous to when I last used Add/Remove successfully (as suggested by dc3) and that also failed. The same problem as described in my original post recurred.

Edited by Billermo, 21 September 2008 - 01:12 PM.

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,397 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2008 - 03:21 PM

There is a newer version of the Windows Installer, 4.5 I believe. If you have that, that error message is as should be.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/942288

Louis

#11 Billermo

Billermo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2008 - 10:59 PM

OK I installed 4.5 and that one seems to have worked. So the problem seems to be solved. I'm trying to uninstall my first program right now using it. So far it's working.

Thanks everyone

#12 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,397 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2008 - 07:17 AM

Good work, happy computing :thumbsup:.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users