Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help! My computer won't do what I want it to

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 cjluvsmm

cjluvsmm

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:50 PM

Posted 27 April 2005 - 12:55 PM

:thumbsup: I received a computer from a friend. She did not re-boot the program or leave me with a start-up disk when she gave me the system (emachine
with windows98) My friend at work let me borrow a windows 98se upgrade that he had, I put the disk in and followed all directions, said installation was successful and I registered product. Problem: The system tools is still listing the prior user as registered owner and she still has all her settings on the main screen along with the windows98 files. Question: How do I remove her, her settings and gain control of my computer? Please help! I'm buggin out here.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:50 AM

Posted 27 April 2005 - 04:39 PM

It seems to me that what you did was an upgrade. This does not change installed programs or user data. In order to do a completely clean install of Win 98, you need to format the C: drive first, then install as new. If you have problems booting from the CD you'll need a Win 98 startup disk. You can make that by inserting a floppy into the A: drive and then go to Control Panel -> Add/Remove Programs and click on the Startup Disk tab. Once you've got your startup disk made, give it a try by restarting and leaving the disk in the drive. When it begins to start, tell it to start the computer with CD-Rom support.

If that works, then type format C: from the DOS prompt and it will take a little while to format. Make sure you've got your install key. Then you can re-install Windows by putting the Windows disk in the CD-Rom and typing in E: setup. If you are using an upgrade disk, it will require that you have an earlier disk to insert during the process, such as Windows 95 or Windows 98 first edition. If you don't have an earlier disk the install will not continue.

Edited by Herk, 27 April 2005 - 04:41 PM.

#3 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:50 PM

Posted 27 April 2005 - 07:39 PM

Before you follow Herk's advice make a note of your product-key, if you don't know how to find it there is a program called "keyfinder" you can download which will find it and print it out for you.
Download from here: http://www.magicaljellybean.com/keyfinder.shtml

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#4 PC WizKid

PC WizKid

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:50 PM

Posted 28 April 2005 - 04:19 AM

Also make sure you do not lose it.
I love Windows Vista Ultimate

Windows 7 RC no more :cry:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users