Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Just A Quick Question.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:10 PM

Posted 21 September 2008 - 10:08 AM

Since, I have become a member of this site forum, I have seen a lot people in the Windows XP section running Service Pack 3. I would like to why no one is running Service Pack 3 which has been out for a long time, and has been stable. I was just asking this to get other peoples inputs.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,810 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:10 AM

Posted 21 September 2008 - 10:16 AM

I think that the people that haven't added the SP3 either are those that want to be sure that the bugs are worked out before adding it, or are just not aware of the benefits of adding the SP3. There were some problems when SP3 first came out, and I think a lot of people saw this and didn't think that the benefits were worth the possible complications.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 Deathscythe

Deathscythe

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:10 AM

Posted 21 September 2008 - 10:18 AM

As a tech in a local PC repair shop I have come across issues that still make Service Pack 3 unstable. While the Intel processors seem to run fine, the AMD processors, once installed constantly get a blue screen of death. If you have an Intel system go ahead and update as for AMD stay away from it. Hope this helps shed alittle light on the subject.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,563 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:10 AM

Posted 21 September 2008 - 10:45 AM

I would amend Deathscythe's post in this manner...

The problem with AMD systems stems actually only impacts AMD systems which are put together by boxmakers (Dell, Gateway, HP, etc.).

AMD systems which are not sold by those entities...don't experience what some seem to refer to as the "AMD problem."

Does your AMD-based computer boot after installing XP SP3 - Jesper's Blog - http://msinfluentials.com/blogs/jesper/arc...ing-xp-sp3.aspx

Read the Problem Details section and you should have a better understanding of what may occur...and why.

Louis

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:10 PM

Posted 21 September 2008 - 05:36 PM

At work I install SP3 on anything that comes in the door and needs work. If it's infected, then SP3 goes on after we've removed the viruses.
I do check to see if the Intel CPU driver is loading on AMD systems - and if it is, I turn it off before installing SP3
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users