Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Pc Won't Boot

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 deseray21580

deseray21580

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:46 AM

Posted 21 September 2008 - 09:16 AM

Not sure if this is the right place to post this and I didn't see anything relating to this problem.

When turning on the computer it shows the first screen .. Big E and bottom right corner says Boot (F10) Bios (F2) .. it hangs there for a few minutes then just goes to a black screen and just stays that way. There are no beeps or error codes. Only thing that has been done to this computer is RAM upgrades. I've taken all the Ram out which causes the error beeps. There are four memory slots. I have four sticks. First I took one out leaving 3 in.. turned PC on got same screen. Repeated this for each stick. Then I took all off the sticks out and I took each one and put one into the first slot, same thing, put second into first slot, same thing, third.. fourth, same thing. So I'm assuming it's not the RAM? Haven't done anything else to this PC. Only thing it was used for was web surfing and playing RPG game called DAoC. Hope I provided enough info. Any help would be great!

Computer Info.

Emachine

CPU: AMD Athlon™ 64 3500+ processor with AMD 64 Technology
(2.2GHz, 2000MHz system bus, 512KB L2 cache)
Operating System: Genuine Microsoft® Windows® XP Media Center Edition 2005

Chipset: NVIDIA® GeForce® 6100
Memory: 1024MB DDR (2 × 512MB), 400MHz (PC3200), dual-channel Expandable to 4GB
Hard Drive: 200GB (7200rpm, 2MB cache)
Optical Drive: 16x multiformat dual-layer DVD±RW
(Up to 8.5GB with dual-layer media)
Write max: 16x DVD±R, 6x DVD-RW, 8x DVD+RW, 4x DVD+R DL, 40x CD-R, 24x CD-RW
Read max: 16x DVD-ROM, 40x CD-ROM
Media Reader: 9-in-1 media card reader (Memory Stick®, Memory Stick Pro®, MultiMediaCard™, Secure Digital™, CompactFlash®, MicroDrive, SmartMedia, xD, USB 2.0)
Video: NVIDIA® GeForce® 6100 GPU
Up to 128MB of shared video memory
PCI Express (PCIe x16) slot available
Sound: 6-channel (5.1) high-definition audio
Network: 10/100Mbps integrated Ethernet LAN (RJ-45 port)
Modem: 56K ITU V.92-ready fax/modem (RJ-11 port)
Peripherals: Premium multimedia keyboard, 2-button wheel mouse, amplified stereo speakers
Ports/Other: 5 USB 2.0 (1 in digital media manager, 4 in back), VGA external connector, parallel port, 2 PS/2 ports (keyboard and mouse), 5 audio ports (2 in front, 3 in back)
Dimensions: 14.25" H x 7.25" W x 16" D
Weight: 22.5 lbs

Emachine is the T6532 series if that helps

Edited by deseray21580, 21 September 2008 - 10:51 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,086 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:46 AM

Posted 21 September 2008 - 12:04 PM

Hi :thumbsup:.

This isn't clear...but what happened to your old RAM (which, presumably, allowed the system to work properly?

Does the system work with it now?

To truly test your RAM, I believe that you need to run Memtest with all modules in the system. That should give you some feedback.

Are all modules from same manufacturer, same timings, specs?

Memtest86.com - Memory Diagnostic - http://www.memtest86.com/

Possibly relevant: http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/Comput...5E13335,00.html

Louis

#3 deseray21580

deseray21580
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2008 - 12:24 PM

The computer came with two sticks. I added one stick to try and enhance gaming experience and later on I added another. The two I added aren't the same brands. The PC was working fine for quite awhile after I added the last one. One day when I was playing DAoC the game froze up and I had to hit the ESC key to exit back to desktop. Instead of going to desktop my computer rebooted. From there it would get to the windows loading screen and the bar would be moving like it's supposed to then all of a sudden stop then stay on the Windows loading screen. Tried restarting a couple times and after a few times it just went to that first loading screen that I wrote about in the first post. The BIG E with the F10 an F2 options, it would hang there then eventually it would blink then a plain black screen would appear and it just stays on that now. There is no beeps, no error codes. I first thought maybe the RAM was bad so I went through the process of elimination by taking each out and so on. I unseated and reseated my plugs. All my fans turn on. So my last thought was maybe it was the Motherboard? As I can not do a system restore.. or get into safe mode or anything to try and repair the problem.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,086 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2008 - 02:27 PM

Take the new RAM out...put the old in...see if it boots properly.

Do you have an XP Windows CD?

System manufacturer and model?

Louis

#5 deseray21580

deseray21580
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2008 - 02:40 PM

sorry maybe I'm saying it wrong. There are four ram slots.. it came with two and I added two. I never took the old ones out to begin with. I have the windows XP cd but it won't boot it up and I can't hit the F10 to change boot sequence. The PC is an Emachine T6532. Only thing I can tell by what the MB are the MS-7207 & K8NGM2 - H that is printed on it.

Edited by deseray21580, 21 September 2008 - 02:40 PM.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,086 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2008 - 03:34 PM

OK :thumbsup:.

Let's try to remove the CMOS battery and get some life back into the system...I'd still like to know if you have an XP CD (which happens to contain all the major tools by which to repair any XP install).

Since you have a motherboard/system manual...you can either move the CMOS jumper on the motherboard...or remove the CMOS battery for a short time and then put in back in properly. Either procedure produces the same result, an attempt to break the current cycle that paralyzes your system.

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qi...10004116AAfQUDn See Best Answer and 1st Other Answer.

CMOS Battery Replacement - http://www.liverepair.com/encyclopedia/art...cmosreplace.asp

Louis

#7 deseray21580

deseray21580
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2008 - 06:33 PM

Ok I did take out the battery, no change. I also switched the jumper and turned it on, no changed. Put jumper back to where it was.. still no change. :thumbsup: Yes I do have a windows XP disc and I did try to use it but it won't auto run it.

I do want to tell you something else I tried just a little while ago. Maybe this can help to figuring out what's wrong?

I tried using another hard drive to see if SOMETHING would change. First Hard drive I tried the windows disc started to do it's thing.. then it gave me an error saying it could not find hard drive. Tried a different hard drive and then it tells me CMOS CheckSum Bad. When using either of these hard drives though it did allow me to access the F2 and F10 keys to change boot setup or go into BIOS which the original hard drive wouldn't allow me to do anything. Not sure if that helps any.

Edited by deseray21580, 21 September 2008 - 06:34 PM.

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,086 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2008 - 08:08 PM

In my experience :thumbsup:...CMOS checksum errors are indications that I need a new CMOS battery in my system.

Louis

#9 deseray21580

deseray21580
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2008 - 08:33 AM

Ok on the back of the battery it says Panasonic +3V CR2032 .. I have another battery which says Newsun + 3V CR2032 .. would this work? or does it have to match brands?

#10 smurfgod

smurfgod

• Members
  • 446 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2008 - 08:59 AM

no, that ones fine

#11 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:46 AM

Posted 22 September 2008 - 09:45 AM

How clean is your computer?

#12 deseray21580

deseray21580
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2008 - 10:23 AM

Ok I swapped the batteries and same results. Is there something specific I'm supposed to do when swapping a battery? Or I did it right and I should just take a hammer to it and call it a loss? :thumbsup:

Edited by deseray21580, 22 September 2008 - 10:27 AM.

#13 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,086 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2008 - 10:39 AM

You rebooted...and received another checksum error?

Did you reset or check your BIOS settings?

The system does not boot at all?

Louis

#14 deseray21580

deseray21580
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2008 - 10:45 AM

After swappin around Hard drives last night I put the original one back in. Swapped battery and now I'm getting the first screen again with the Big E an the F10, F2 options at bottom right corner and then nothing. I can't reset anything cause I can't get into the Bios.. even tho it gives me that first screen it won't let me choose either of them it's just froze.

#15 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:46 AM

Posted 22 September 2008 - 11:00 AM

Sounds to me like a over heating issue.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users