Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Multimedia Box

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 keithy

keithy

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:20 AM

Posted 21 September 2008 - 09:16 AM

I think I know the answer to this but maybe I'm wrong!
I bought a Multimedia box from a firm called "Icy Box"
It was advertised as "HDD not included" so after reading the info I set about removing a Hitachi "Deskstar" 250Gb from it's box and fitted it "like a glove" into this "Icy Box" which was basically a cover with a small fan, and included all the cables necessary to connect to a PC or a television, it also had a remote control and a small LCD display at the front. after double checking everything, including the part that said suitable for all SATA hard drives, I checked the voltage both rated at 5V 500mA. 12V 700mA, so before connecting to the PC I switched on......
There was a small puff of smoke from one of the vents so I switched and immediately smelt the distinctly odd burnt plastic smell.
I removed my hard drive and saw that one of the tiny black, square relays (?) I have an external adaptor so I connected it to the power supply and noticed there was no sound of the discs turning.
I've checked around and I have been told that the Hard drive is now US, I'm not worried about the data on the drive it's backed up but is there no way of repairing the drive? or even claiming for the damage, I took the "Icy Box" back to the shop who were happy enough to reimburse for the cost of "Box" but said that my HDD was probably defective, since it has been my possession since 2005, there is no claim there?
have I just been taught a costly lesson or did I do something wrong? from now on I will watch my movies on the PC, sorry for the long story but sometimes it helps, if not me, then someone else from making the same mistakes.

http://www.scan.co.uk/Product.aspx?WebProd...;source=froogle

Edited by keithy, 21 September 2008 - 09:21 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:20 AM

Posted 21 September 2008 - 01:50 PM

HDD was probably defective, since it has been my possession since 2005, there is no claim there?

Life expectancy for a hard drive is 3 to 5 years, More if your lucky, but it was used. Perhaps if you had used a new drive, the retailer couldn't have used that argument but they probably use a different excuse.

Repair the hard drive?? Honestly it won't be worth it.
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 keithy

keithy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:20 AM

Posted 22 September 2008 - 10:41 AM

Thanks!

live and learn eh!

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:20 AM

Posted 22 September 2008 - 11:23 AM

Unfortunately. If we all had hindsight, we'd all be rich
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#5 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:20 AM

Posted 22 September 2008 - 02:49 PM

Id check its warranty status then send it in.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users