Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Freeze

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 sniperNZSAS

sniperNZSAS

• Members
  • 93 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:31 PM

Posted 20 September 2008 - 10:26 PM

Hi all
I have just had a new system build and it seems every game I play it freezes. Ill play for around 15min and then the entire computer freezes and I have to reset. At 1st I thought my 8800gt might be overheating, but ive installed a case fan which has bought its temperature down a lot. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Im running win XP pro with SP2
Games played are - Project Reality ( Battlefield 2 mod )
World in Conflict
Need For Speed Pro Street
C&C 3 Tiberium Wars

System specs are:

Abit AX78 Motherboard
AMD Phenom 8450 Tri-Core 2.1GHz
GeForce 8800GT 256MB
2 GB ram

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2008 - 09:01 AM

Got to ask the obvious. Did you use thermal compound on the CPU and heatsink? Is the heatsink fan installed correctly, blowing in the right direction? Do you have all of the cables routed and secured for maximum airflow?
Does anything show up in the Event Viewer at about the same time you have this problem?

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/40108/how-to-use-event-viewer/
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 Deathscythe

Deathscythe

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:31 PM

Posted 21 September 2008 - 09:10 AM

I would have to agree with Garmanma. Double check and make sure you have thermal paste on the processor, as well as the general layout of the case's airflow. I know the Intel fans can be a pain with the four posts to "pop" in, but you have an AMD. Still check and make sure they are securely snapped in. Also is the computer just freezing or are you receiving a Blue screen as well?

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,014 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:31 PM

Posted 21 September 2008 - 10:00 AM

That graphics card requires minimum PSU of 400W @ 26A, does you current PSU meet those requirements?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 sniperNZSAS

sniperNZSAS
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 93 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2008 - 02:17 AM

Yes the PSU is powerful enough. Yes there is thermal paste on the CPU and the fan is blowing the correct direction, otherwise I would not be writing this now as Im sure a tri core would not last long without either. The CPU temps are fine. The freeze is an entire system freeze, no blue screen at all, I have to manually reset. I'm thinking of a reinstall of windows, but im not sure if its a software problem. Ill check that Event Viewer and get back to ya

Thanks for the replies

#6 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:31 AM

Posted 22 September 2008 - 05:47 AM

Have you been keeping up with Windows Updates and other software updates such as DirectX? I only, ask because you are still running SP2 when SP3 has been out and stable for quite some time.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users