Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Crash/studder/hiccup Issues

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 KARABATSOS

KARABATSOS

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:54 PM

Posted 20 September 2008 - 10:26 PM

Hey guys--hope I am posting this in the right spot...
Anyway, let me get right to it: I just built myself a pretty awesome new system (about 2 weeks ago) and it seems to be giving me some rather awkward issues as of a week ago. I fixed most of the major crashes that were occuring but now they seems to be mostly limited to gaming. Whenever I play a game, it locks up and or studders a bit--sometimes it will come out of it, more often than not it just locks up for good and I have to do a manual restart. In the last few days I have updated all of my hardware and all the games that I am running, held my breath...then been let down. I built this thing specifcally for gaming so the fact that it has prohibited me from doing just that is quite irritating. Any help I can get at this point would be great. My next step is Geek Squad...I would like to stay away from that step if at all possible. :thumbsup:

Here are the guts of my machine (the really important stuff):

- Intel Core2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz
- Corsair Dominator 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066
- GIGABYTE GA-EP45C-DS3R LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard
- Apevia Warlock Power ATX-WA750W 750W
- MSI NX8800GT 512M OC GeForce 8800 GT 512MB
- Windows XP 2002 SP3

I am sure that I have managed to leave something out that is necessary to diagnosing the problem so let me know if anything else is needed.

By the way, just thought about this, I don't have a sound card--I thought the one on the motherboard would be fine. Could this in ANY way be a contributing factor? I'm not sure it would be, but it's worth a shot.

Edited by KARABATSOS, 21 September 2008 - 01:01 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,034 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2008 - 06:17 PM

Sound card I don't see as being a contributing factor. With all that unused horsepower playing games with a quad core processor whatever the sound card would possibly need is minuscule. It will only effect sound quality. What game are you attempting to play and at what settings?

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#3 KARABATSOS

KARABATSOS
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2008 - 11:19 PM

I have tried 3 games so far: Crysis, at default setting, Spore at default as well, and Starcraft, which, belive it or not has crashed a handful of times despite its low needs.

#4 francis327

francis327

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:54 AM

Posted 23 September 2008 - 01:57 AM

Hi there,
Mind check for the temperature of your graphic card?
Overheat issue might have contribute to the reason of crash.
Do you have any temperature monitoring software for your graphic card?
better to have one and make sure that it ois not an overheating issue.
By the way, please check your casing for smooth air flow too.

Thanks

#5 KARABATSOS

KARABATSOS
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2008 - 06:59 PM

Hey guys,

Thanks for all the help. I figured out the problem about a week ago... one of the memory was not placed into the ddr2 slot correctly. Sigh. Just a bit embarassing. Oh well. It's fixed now. Thanks again.

- KARABATSOS

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users