Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Screen Gets Black After Enter On Owner Password

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Rafinad

Rafinad

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:41 PM

Posted 20 September 2008 - 09:23 PM

One of my PCs suddenly developed a habit to black out
the screen at login time right after I click owner, put password and Enter.

It was working fine before this, I do not connect it to Internet, yet I transfer some files
using USB memory stick from other PC which is connected.

Interestin thing that when I chose F8 for safe mode the PC that generates garbage bag black
screen works fine as far as I can tell. I can see my files in directories and open them
(clearly I checked only a few).

Is it a virus or I changed some setting during last log out ?

Thank you.
R.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2008 - 07:04 AM

There are several things that could cause this, the most likely being a corruption of your video drivers. To start with, uninstall the current video drivers from your system while in Safe Mode (go to Control Panel...Add/Remove Programs).

If this doesn't fix it, post back and we'll go through the steps for checking out your hard drive, your file system, and the MBR/Boot sectors of the hard drive.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 Rafinad

Rafinad
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2008 - 11:45 AM

Hi Usasma

Thank you for reply. It seems that the problem went away.

On my other PC I put a video card for two monitors and was using it.

Then I switched one monitor to this PC and that's when problem started to happen.

Do I have to do some monitor log out procedure from the dual video in order for it to work

with single monitor PC now?

I also would like to know the steps for checking out my PC you were talking about
( the steps for checking out your hard drive, your file system, and the MBR/Boot sectors of the hard drive )
if possible.

Thanks.
R.

#4 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:41 PM

Posted 21 September 2008 - 12:35 PM

Move the other monitor to the free and empty port.

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2008 - 05:44 PM

There shouldn't be anything needed for the 2 monitor setup to go to one monitor.

To check out your hard drive, you can download a diagnostic utility from the hard drive manufacturer's website. There's a list of the most common one's here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/28744/hard-drive-installation-and-diagnostic-tools/

To check your file system, go to Start...Run...and type in "cmd.exe" (without the quotes) and press Enter
Then type "chkdsk" in the black window that opens up - and then press Enter.
If it shows errors, then type in "chkdsk /r" (without the quotes) and press Enter - it'll fix the errors this time.

To rebuild the MBR and Boot Sector you'll have to boot into the Recovery Console and execute a couple of commands. There's no need to do this if the computer is booting into Windows - so I wouldn't mess with it unless you're unable to get into Windows.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 Rafinad

Rafinad
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2008 - 11:01 AM

Hello

I'm back with the same problem: at some point this problem of black screen
went away for quite some time, but now it is back. I can work only in safe
mode.

I decided to use another drive as bootable HD, I have too much data on current one
and do not want to risk to reinstall XP on it. Also I want to have an extra HD with
XP just in case. I'll keep only XP and software on it and my data will sit on it's own
drive.

Now my question is:

How do I install XP onto this new drive which I see as F: ?

Can I do it in safe mode or I have to do it on another PC ?

Do file structures have to be both the same ( FAT32 or NCTS) ?

Thank you.
R.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users