Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Old Computer Product Key

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 TheIowaKid

TheIowaKid

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:37 PM

Posted 27 April 2005 - 11:51 AM

I have an old E-machines computer with XP home on it. Its not being used and is very unstable (crashing alot and bad heat sink or whatever) I want to know if i can use the product key from that computer to register XP on a machine that I actually use. I purchased both machines, and the e-machine is not hooked up to the internet and is not in use AT ALL. Basically transfer Xp from one to the other since in practice i purchased that version of Xp and want to continue to use it. Could I also make a boot disc from the e-machines to reinstall the XP on the machine in using now? (gateway)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2005 - 01:48 PM

You can take a valid copy of XP and put it on another machine for your own use. This will have the effect of de-activating the original installation of XP. Don't quote me on this but I think you have 60 days to re-register it.

With XP, you don't need a boot disk, you boot from the CD. Do you still have the XP disk from the e-machine? If so, program the other computer with it, connect to the internet and go through the registration process. Your product key is combined with an algorythm derived from the hardware in the machine that your copy of XP is running on to identify it to Microsoft. In other words, they will be aware that you now have that copy of XP on another machine. This happens quite frequently when people want to upgrade their equipment.

Edited by Leurgy, 27 April 2005 - 01:58 PM.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#3 yano

yano

I can see what you post!

• Members
  • 6,469 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2005 - 08:21 PM

I think you have 30 days to re-register it and activate it. (at the same time)

#4 KoanYorel

KoanYorel

Bleepin' Conundrum

• Members
  • 19,461 posts
  •  
  • Location:65 miles due East of the "Logic Free Zone", in Md, USA
  • Local time:11:37 PM

Posted 29 April 2005 - 09:03 PM

Yes, you will have only 30 days to re-activate the XP after you install it
on your other PC.

Please review these two items which should help you understand more
fully what you need to do and why.

From Microsoft about "Windows XP Product Activation".

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/evaluat...activation.mspx

And an article from Information Week.

Read the paragraph entitled "Hardware Hashing And Phoning Home".

http://www.informationweek.com/story/IWK20010816S0015

regards,
Koan
The only easy day was yesterday.

...some do, some don't; some will, some won't (WR)

#5 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2005 - 07:23 AM

I think you have 30 days to re-register it and activate it. (at the same time)

Yes, you will have only 30 days to re-activate the XP after you install it
on your other PC.

Thanks for clarifying that point.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#6 putasolutions

putasolutions

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:37 AM

Posted 30 April 2005 - 11:04 AM

After 120 days, the activation record of a particular cd key is removed from the M$ database, and you will be able to go through the automatic activation, so there should be no need to go through the call centre

#7 Peculiar

Peculiar

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2005 - 10:42 PM

Did this copy of come pre-installed on your computer? If it did, you can not legally take the copy of XP from the E-machine and place it on another computer. The Key is tied to the original computer. Read your EULA. If this is a copy of Windows XP that you purchased seperate from the E-machine computer, you may move it to another computer.

#8 TheIowaKid

TheIowaKid
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2005 - 11:43 AM

yeah, it came preinstalled on the e-machine thats why I was asking cause i was thinking that i couldnt use it again on another machine.

#9 Peculiar

Peculiar

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2005 - 08:24 PM

It has been my experience that E-Machine uses a disk Image rather than an actual copy of Windows XP. In that case, I don't think the disk Image would work at all on a different computer with different hardware. Not to mention that the pre-installed key is Bios locked. If your only trouble with the emachine is a heatsink, you can replace those pretty easily. Not much to it. If it's your motherboard, it would probably be cheaper to buy a retail version of XP rather than repair it. Don't throw out the old PC though, there are still a alot of good parts in there.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users