Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Still Trying To Install Home O/s

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 333nnn

333nnn

• Members
  • 112 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:45 PM

Posted 20 September 2008 - 06:38 PM

Still can't get the o/s to install or installation cd to run. I went to the store where I bought the hd and the tech guy said the hd and wd installation cd were ok so he concluded that the dvd burner must be bad. I bought a new dvd burner and installed it, but it made no difference. I also installed new ide or ied whatever they're called cables and a new little dvd burner cable, but these made no difference either. I tried the dvd burner set as the master and hd set as the slave and at the neutral setting but this did not help either. I also tried the installations with the dvd burner and hd connected to separate ied cables. I will check all the connections again. The dvd drive is detected by the bios, and I am booting from the dvd burner. What else should I check?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,810 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:45 PM

Posted 20 September 2008 - 06:56 PM

In order to boot from the CD the CD-ROM has to be the first device in the boot order in the BIOS, you may have to change this.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,565 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:45 PM

Posted 21 September 2008 - 09:02 AM

Showing my ignorance...but what is the WD installation CD?

To install a new hard drive...all that should be done is to connect it to the appropriate cable...see that it's recognized in the BIOS...change the boot order so that the system boots from the CD...insert the XP CD and format/partition/install from that.

At what stage of this process do things go wrong?

FWIW: There is no neutral setting for drive jumpers :thumbsup:. The C/S setting is one where the system senses which is Master and which is Slave by position on the IDE cable. Both devices on the cable must employ the C/S setting if two devices are on that cable.

I would try the install with each device (hard drive and burner) on separate cables. I would use the C/S setting, but using the Master setting on each drive (with each connected to the end connector) achieves the same thing.

If there are any error messages, please post those.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users