Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dont Run, Save

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 flavius

flavius

• Members
  • 130 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:34 AM

Posted 20 September 2008 - 04:56 PM

make a saved folder in my docs and when downloading dont run save the item in the saved folder, when the download as finished in the folder click the icon then click file, from the drop down list choose scan with avg8 when the shell scan finishes if nothing found click file again this time choose scan with spybot s&d a dialogue box opens asking you to run the prog click it and spybot will now scan the prog if nothing found it is reasonably safe to run the download, i say reasonably because nothing can be 100% it is long winded but will help you to keep out the villains
optomist: balding men have less hair to comb!
pessamist: yes but they have more face to wash

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DSTM

DSTM

"Bleepin' Aussie Addict"

• Members
  • 2,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:34 PM

Posted 01 December 2008 - 09:22 PM

I do exactly the same,and never take any notice of the instructions,to click run.
Always SAVE,SCAN,and then install,no matter what site,I download from.
Everybody should get into this habit,IMO.
So much crap comes hidden in downloads.
Probably adds 30 seconds to an install,but could save you hours trying to get rid of Viruses and spyware. :thumbsup:

#3 Michael-Anthony

Michael-Anthony

• Banned
  • 267 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:34 AM

Posted 01 December 2008 - 11:06 PM

they should add a " save and scan " button to the dialog in question.

#4 sausage

sausage

• Members
  • 389 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:34 AM

Posted 03 December 2008 - 10:53 PM

I love that idea! we should call up BIll Gates and yell at him for being so incompetent, but knowing him instead of just upgradng XP or Vista he'll build an entirely new OS just for adding that....

#5 Lindamc

Lindamc

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:34 AM

Posted 03 January 2009 - 07:42 PM

Cheers guys, Ive never done this but I am definately going to start.

This site is great for trying to increase your knowledge on the pc. :thumbsup:

#6 istbar

istbar

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:34 PM

Posted 10 February 2009 - 02:54 PM

I love that idea! we should call up BIll Gates and yell at him for being so incompetent, but knowing him instead of just upgradng XP or Vista he'll build an entirely new OS just for adding that....

Haha...ain't that the truth.
This is a great procedure. I'm sure it's prevented years from being eliminated from the end of my life.

istbar
'You tried and you failed. The lesson is never try.'

#7 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2009 - 03:07 AM

i always click save and i only download if I trust the sender. :D

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#8 intvglm

intvglm

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:34 PM

Posted 12 February 2009 - 04:12 AM

Haha...ain't that the truth.
This is a great procedure. I'm sure it's prevented years from being eliminated from the end of my life.

istbar

Problem is different AntiVirus program uses different routine, so each have to provide a plug-in for the 'save and scan' procedure.
While windows doesn't come with Antivirus (and some choose to operate without AV at all to save resource), save and scan potentially creates opening for bugs and security exploit problems..

Although we can manage with 'save and scan' activated after installing an Antivirus, and deactivated after uninstalling it......
But still, problems while after uninstalling Antivirus but not yet rebooting..

#9 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2009 - 05:33 AM

actually, I think thats a great idea, perhaps if bill gates were to build an entirely new OS maybe it would actually turn out to be a halfway decent one. . .

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#10 Rraa

Rraa

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2009 - 11:35 AM

From what I've been reading, it doesn't HAVE to be Bill Gates ... could be one of us on here who can produce a better OS - why not?! :thumbsup:

#11 Swordie

Swordie

• Members
  • 792 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2009 - 04:31 PM

Wow would that save SOOO MUCH from my life. I always save my files to my Desktop and then delete the installer once i'm done.
Who said I couldn't have everything?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users