Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

System restore

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 JanMc

JanMc

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:12 AM

Posted 27 April 2005 - 11:27 AM

On the XP operating system--when I try to restore the system (because of on going problems) it goes through all the motions and then at the end it says 'There was an error in restoring-no files have been changed.' I have tried several different restore points (dates) with the same message each time. I have been working on this for about a week; at the end of my rope.
Can anyone help?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2005 - 11:32 AM

Sounds like the same error may exist on all your restore points.

What is the problem you are experiencing?

#3 JanMc

JanMc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2005 - 12:34 PM

The other problems I am having are-Auto update scan-stays at 0%--Norton Internet Security (updated last fall) started acting up (after working fine) so I followed suggestions to uninstall it, but then I can't reinstall it ('installation error').

I did download 'EasyCleaner' and ran that to clean up and make computer run faster. That seemed to work fine, but I did go back and undid the registry changes in case that caused problems.

This is my Mother-in-laws computer and she seems to constantly have little problems. She doesn't know if SP2 update is on her computer and I can't find any mention of it when I choose 'find'.

System Restore shows restore points for just about every day. It just fails when trying to restore to any date.

Thanks for your prompt reply

#4 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:12 PM

Posted 27 April 2005 - 06:49 PM

This could be due to malware on your system. Do you have any anti-spyware installed? If not download and update all of the following:Reboot your computer in Safe Mode and run the anti-virus scan and anti-spyware scans there.
If you are not sure how to boot in Safe Mode there is a tutorial here: Safe Mode

See if that helps :thumbsup:

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#5 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2005 - 09:58 PM

To see what software (and hardware) is on the computer download and use either Belarc Advisor or Everest Home.

http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html

Everest Home Edition

Everest Home Edition (the successor of AIDA32) is a system information and benchmarking tool with full hardware & software information available as freeware for the individual user. It comes with a built-in hardware database and physical information for CPU, motherboard, hard disks, optical drives, chipset and much more. The information can be displayed on-screen, printed, or saved as a report in HTML or text format. The built in diagnostics module can help you find potential problems, by higlighting them in the report and also includes links to manufacturers web sites, driver updates and more. An easy to use report wizard allows you to create detailed reports in the format of your choice. The program is extremely well featured and very nicely done.

Download
Here:
http://www.lavalys.com/products/download.p...ang=en&pageid=3
or here:
http://www.snapfiles.com/get/everest.html

#6 JanMc

JanMc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2005 - 04:10 PM

Thanks, I will try these this weekend and let you know
Jan

#7 JanMc

JanMc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2005 - 12:16 PM

I tried the Belarc Advisor and it gave me some good info, but what finally worked was a post that advised to Click start/run, type "sfc /scannow" and click ok. You need your XP home Edition CD. (This will validate the system file set and replace any missing or corrupted ones with the appropriate version ones.) This is what worked.
I was able to install Norton-it also fixed some other minor problems..don't know if it fixed 'System Restore'; I don't need to use it now. :thumbsup:
Ended up with another problem but I will do a fresh post for that one.

Thanks so much for help. Jan

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users