Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What Makes Windows Media Player 11 Warp The Sound Of My Mp3's?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 garmann

garmann

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:13 PM

Posted 20 September 2008 - 04:28 PM

I've had this happen to me once before. It was bothersome but not so much because i mainly used iTunes for MP3 playback. But now i find i need to use windows media more and more.

When i open an MP3 file it launches media player 11 and starts to play and then within the first few seconds it slows down and drops a slight pitch. It totally warps the sound. After the initial drop it seems OK and steady. It does this on every MP3 and this is not happening on any other computer with the same MP3's nor does it happen in any other player on this same PC. It's really aggravating.

I have media player 11, i just did the SP3 update, It started about 2 weeks ago, I don't remember installing anything new other than updates for my anti-virus, anyDVD and zone alarm. I am on XP Pro and my software build is about 2 years old.

I've searched technet, MS Knowledge base and googled a lot of different word combos try and find an answer but i can not find anything on this subject. Has anyone heard of this same thing happening?

Anyone have any ideas outside of wiping my PC clean and doing a new software build?

(That is what fixed it when it happened a few years back)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 rowal5555

rowal5555

Just enough info to be armed & dangerous...

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:13 PM

Posted 20 September 2008 - 07:48 PM

Hi garmann

Welcome to BleepingComputer.

I have no idea if this will help you, but it is worth a look. FWIW, I bought a new laptop at the beginning of the year and it was supposed to have all the bells and whistles including surround sound etc, but the sound in WMP 11 was scratchy and sounded like a blown speaker. I eventually took it back and we found that the Graphic Equaliser settings were all out. As I hadn't touched them I never thought of looking at something as simple as that, made me feel like a big git, LOL. 

Check under the Now Playing Tab/Enhancements/Graphic Equaliser.

Cheers

rowal5555 (Rob )                                                             

Avid supporter of Bleeping Computer's
Team 38444

You can help find a cure

#3 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:13 PM

Posted 21 September 2008 - 12:55 PM

Some tips and tricks:
http://zachd.com/pss/pss.html
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users