Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Interminable Startup, Klif And Zone Alam

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 wolfgold

wolfgold

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:12 PM

Posted 20 September 2008 - 04:00 PM

:thumbsup:
OK. My wife's Dell Inspriron (2 years old) takes about 6 minutes from hitting the button until functional. The weird thing is that the desktop appears in short order with the a movable mouse pointer but no icons or task bar. Latest Zone Alarm installed. All possible on-line anti-virus and spyware programs has been run. Safe startup makes no difference. I ran a start up log from the boot up menu - zilch.

Event viewer showed continuous errors that would correspond in time to when the problem started (about a week ago).

Error message: "The KLIF service failed to start due to the following error:
The system cannot find the file specified."

I understand KLIF is related to Kaspersky/Zone alam. There are 2 instances of KLIF both in system32.
I'm guessing some corruption happened at some point. Can't find an answer on the Zone alarm site.

HELP!

THANKS!!

U

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:12 PM

Posted 21 September 2008 - 11:58 AM

Do you have Kaperskey Anti-virus or the Security Suite?
If you have the full suite, you might have some conflicts with Zone Alarm. The full suite also has a firewall
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 wolfgold

wolfgold
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2008 - 12:04 PM

Hi - no, don't have Kapersky all all. This computer has ZoneAlarm only, never had Kapersky - but according to the Zonealarm site, KLIF has been incorporated to ZoneAlarm.

ZoneAlarm SS is the only antivirus/firewall on the computer

#4 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Members
  • 1,588 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2008 - 08:52 AM

"Latest ZA" - is it 8.0.0.20? If so, there are issues with it as described at http://forums.zonealarm.com/zonelabs/ - in big red letters and also many recent posts in the General, Off-topic and other sections. Do a clean uninstall using the ZA uninstaller in the Start Menu - zone alarm folder and revert to previous version that worked for you. Just add a space and /clean to the properties of the uninstaller. Do NOT use Add/Remove method or you'll have a mess.

Free ZA includes disabled Kaspersky drivers, so many anti-anything applications tend to conflict, as Kaspersky hates traces of any anti-programs.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users