Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Slow Boot-up

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 stolz

stolz

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:48 AM

Posted 20 September 2008 - 03:22 PM

Whenever I turn my laptop on, it takes close to two minutes to boot-up. When I first got it, it would boot-up in approx. 50 seconds. What are some reasons for this? I have a dual core Intel processor,2 gigs Ram with a 250 gig hard drive. Thanks for any comments.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:48 AM

Posted 20 September 2008 - 04:04 PM

Whenever I turn my laptop on, it takes close to two minutes to boot-up. When I first got it, it would boot-up in approx. 50 seconds. What are some reasons for this? I have a dual core Intel processor,2 gigs Ram with a 250 gig hard drive. Thanks for any comments.

1) A lot of start up programs loading.

2) Fragmented Hard Drive.

3) Non-updated system drivers and software updates.

4) Virus Infections.

5) Over heating.

#3 stolz

stolz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2008 - 10:56 PM

Thanks for the reply.......but only have 6 start up programs, tools states don't need fragmenting, high priority and software updates done, norton on full scan is clean, windefender is cleaon on full scan, ccleaner up to date and clean (registry also in ccleaner good)---question overheating for this happens on start up when setting overnight......any other suggestions??

#4 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2008 - 04:12 AM

Thanks for the reply.......but only have 6 start up programs, tools states don't need fragmenting, high priority and software updates done, norton on full scan is clean, windefender is cleaon on full scan, ccleaner up to date and clean (registry also in ccleaner good)---question overheating for this happens on start up when setting overnight......any other suggestions??

Remove Norton, and keep Windows Defender. It isn't recommended to run more then 1 virus/malware scanner.

#5 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2008 - 05:19 AM

Why are you telling him that Norton will conflict with Windows Defender? It's not true. But Norton does tend to slow down startup and anyone using it has to accept that. You can get rid of Norton and try some other virus program but you may have the same startup slowdown with something else. So you have to ask yourself whether it's worth the time and trouble to change or just accept that Norton slows down your startup. You have to compromise sometimes.

#6 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2008 - 05:55 AM

Why are you telling him that Norton will conflict with Windows Defender? It's not true. But Norton does tend to slow down startup and anyone using it has to accept that. You can get rid of Norton and try some other virus program but you may have the same startup slowdown with something else. So you have to ask yourself whether it's worth the time and trouble to change or just accept that Norton slows down your startup. You have to compromise sometimes.

Im not saying it will conflict with Windows Defender, but I am saying is that having more then 1 virus scanner on your computer will cause issues such as slow down, especially if they are both scanning. Also, Norton/Symantec have a high rate of false positives such as detecting game files as trojan downloaders. I use Norton here at work, and quite frankly its a piece of crap and slows down my computer to the point where I have to turn down all the quality stuff, and run Windows XP in Windows Classic mode to get better performance. I should have to do that on a Pentium Dual Core 2.8Ghz machine with 3Gigs of PC2-5300 RAM.

#7 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2008 - 10:24 AM

Windows Defender isn't an anti virus. It's a spyware scanner and not a very effective one at that. Anyone who has it doesn't rely on it. It doesn't hurt but it isn't useful either. It doesn't answer his question about slow startup. The answer is Norton. But if he gets rid of Norton, he has to replace it with something else because Defender isn't adequate protection. And that replacement may not improve his startup. So the correct answer is to not fixate on the startup time to the point where it compromises protection. Then you're really asking for trouble.

Edited by frankp316, 21 September 2008 - 10:32 AM.

#8 Deathscythe

Deathscythe

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2008 - 10:34 AM

Im not saying it will conflict with Windows Defender, but I am saying is that having more then 1 virus scanner on your computer will cause issues such as slow down, especially if they are both scanning. Also, Norton/Symantec have a high rate of false positives such as detecting game files as trojan downloaders. I use Norton here at work, and quite frankly its a piece of crap and slows down my computer to the point where I have to turn down all the quality stuff, and run Windows XP in Windows Classic mode to get better performance. I should have to do that on a Pentium Dual Core 2.8Ghz machine with 3Gigs of PC2-5300 RAM.

As far as an anti-virus goes, yes get away from Norton/Macfee and get AVG free or NOD 32. Links below

AVG - http://free.avg.com/ww.download-avg-anti-virus-free-edition
NOD 32 -http://www.eset.com/

#9 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2008 - 10:43 AM

I'm not a big Norton fan. But I get it free from my ISP and that's why I use it. But if the only problem someone is having is a slower startup, there's no guarantee that something else will improve that. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,562 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2008 - 10:54 AM

FWIW: I think Cryptodan is confusing Windows Defender with Windows Live OneCare, which is an AV solution.

I know of no limit involving malware-defense programs like Spybot, Windows Defender, SUPERAntispyware, et cetera. These programs do not necessarily conflict with each other...while two AV programs might.

Louis

#11 stolz

stolz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2008 - 11:00 AM

Thanks for all the input.........I guess if all I have to worry about is slow start up, then that's not too bad , I guess..........it's just so perplexing, sometimes it will start up in 50 seconds and then other times (like this morning) it took 2 minutes and 10 seconds...so fluctuating and frustrating........thanks again, and if anyone else has any input, feel free to offer.....thanks

#12 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2008 - 11:12 AM

FWIW: I think Cryptodan is confusing Windows Defender with Windows Live OneCare, which is an AV solution.

I know of no limit involving malware-defense programs like Spybot, Windows Defender, SUPERAntispyware, et cetera. These programs do not necessarily conflict with each other...while two AV programs might.

Louis

A conflict could exist with several security programs set to scan at the same time.

#13 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,562 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2008 - 11:29 AM

Agreed :thumbsup:, I never consider such happening.

Louis

#14 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2008 - 06:08 PM

Thanks for all the input.........I guess if all I have to worry about is slow start up, then that's not too bad , I guess..........it's just so perplexing, sometimes it will start up in 50 seconds and then other times (like this morning) it took 2 minutes and 10 seconds...so fluctuating and frustrating........thanks again, and if anyone else has any input, feel free to offer.....thanks

The loading speed of Norton tends to fluctuate. So it's all on Norton.

#15 bily

bily

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2008 - 12:01 AM

On the computer in the garbage clean-up files and to remove unnecessary startup items.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users