Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need Help Reinstalling Xp

• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

#1 purplegirl029

purplegirl029

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:32 PM

Posted 20 September 2008 - 01:49 PM

Hello everyone, this is my first post -

My PC is a Dell and it started doing weird things, all of my periphials (speakers, printer, MP3 player, etc) would stop working and then start again and it would slow down to nothing, I cleaned it up, off loaded pictures and documents to my external hard drive, ran a virus check, the whole nine yards. Nothing helped. I was ready to throw it through a window! :trumpet:

As it was out of warranty I called Microsoft and to the tune of $179 they did some "diagnostics" and told me I would need to uninstall Windows XP and reinstall it. They asked if I had the disc that came with the PC and I said I did. They said I should be all set then. I'm pretty good with computers, but I blew this one! After copying all my documents, music and whatnot to my external hard drive, I went to the Control Panel, uninstalled MS Office, and then Windows XP - YES - I know NOW that was wrong! I proceeded to put the Disc in the PC and "reinstall" all seemed to be going well but it reached a certain point and just quit, I tried again several times with the same results. Now I really wanted to kick it out the window! :inlove:

I figured it was a goner and bought a new PC - it needed upgrading anyway!! :cool:

Well, I was told today that all I need to do is reformat the hard drive and then reinstall Windows XP "just Google it" - I'm at a loss - I've Googled this and what I'm finding is like Greek to me :flowers:

...can someone please give me a webiste that is easy to understand step by step instructions or just give me some easy step by step instructions? It would be greatly appreciated - I can put this old PC to some real good use! :thumbsup:

Thank you in advance for any help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 perr

perr

• Members
  • 151 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:32 PM

Posted 20 September 2008 - 01:53 PM

Left side in install/remove.

http://www.theeldergeek.com/

#3 Jove

Jove

• Members
  • 2,739 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:32 PM

Posted 20 September 2008 - 02:00 PM

Can you get anything when you start the computer ?

I am assuming that you may not have any previous or factory restore options on the computer,

what happens when you try to start it up ?

When you don't have to worry about your computer anymore, you can start
living again !

vrwqzc.gif
Success is a result, not a goal. . . . Flaubert

#4 purplegirl029

purplegirl029
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2008 - 02:15 PM

There is nothing when I start the PC.

Edited by usasma, 20 September 2008 - 03:07 PM.
fixed tags (I hope!)

#5 purplegirl029

purplegirl029
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2008 - 02:18 PM

I have all the CDs that came with the PC when I purchased it.... but it does nothing when I turn it on no matter what keys I try....

#6 Jove

Jove

• Members
  • 2,739 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2008 - 02:26 PM

Exactly what disc do you have ?

Do you have restore discs, and or the original installation disc ?

living again !

vrwqzc.gif

#7 purplegirl029

purplegirl029
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2008 - 02:37 PM

Operating System Windows XP Home Incl SP 2, Drivers & Utilities, CyberLink PowerDVD, Sonic RecorcNow, all say for " Already installed on you computer" "For Reinstallation"

#8 Jove

Jove

• Members
  • 2,739 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2008 - 02:45 PM

Have you tried loading OS Disc into the CD tray ? and then restarting or starting ?

Are you familiar with safe mode, if do have you tried it ?

It is possible that you may not have anything to load to but, I have not heard of a case like that.

You are saying you have a blank screen, correct ?

living again !

vrwqzc.gif

#9 Jove

Jove

• Members
  • 2,739 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2008 - 02:49 PM

"For Re installation"

I'm not familiar with that but re installation sounds like it writes over what is there and it sounds like there is nothing there, . .

Therefore you may need a restore disc, or an installation disc, if so, you need to get one, possibly some on you know has one ?

living again !

vrwqzc.gif

#10 purplegirl029

purplegirl029
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2008 - 02:50 PM

Yes that is the Disc I used - Because it says Windows XP on it - I don't understand what you mean by not having anything to load to? It's been a couple weeks since this happened and I don't have it connected at the moment - but to my recollection unless I put that disc in there was nothing and no response by keying any of the "F" keys or trying to type "config" or "run" or anything....

#11 purplegirl029

purplegirl029
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2008 - 02:57 PM

How do you explain that it starts the installation process and gets to a certain point each time and then "quits" or "freezes"?

I guess the bottom line at this point is I need to know how to reformat the disc....as I am told I have to do that first then reinstall the OS disc. So that is the help I am looking for...

#12 Jove

Jove

• Members
  • 2,739 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2008 - 03:03 PM

OK, have you tried, putting the disc in the tray, after you press the start button on the tower,
then, if you can not restart from the windows start program, ( Turn Off, Restart, Stand By)
you will then have to shut down manually and then restart the compuuter.

That is suppose to kick in the CD for running, if that doesn't work, .Hmmm, we're gonna need some help.

You are also saying that there is no way to get into the safe mode, that is what I am afraid of that you may have uninstalled the OS, and ;

Operating System Windows XP Home Incl SP 2, Drivers & Utilities, CyberLink PowerDVD, Sonic RecorcNow, all say for " Already installed on you computer" "For Reinstallation"

This could or might mean that the disc you have are for Re installation not installation, if there is no OS then it is possible there is no activation of the disc to reinstall on an empty HD, but I never heard of that.

Try the two things I suggested, Run the disc, and try safe mode, if you get into to safe mode,

check out (Local Disk C:)and see if there is anything on it.

living again !

vrwqzc.gif

#13 purplegirl029

purplegirl029
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2008 - 03:07 PM

How do I get into safe mode?

#14 purplegirl029

purplegirl029
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2008 - 03:11 PM

I will be able to hook up to monitor and keyboard on Monday at my husbands workstation while my PC is online then I can repost what is going on....

#15 Jove

Jove

• Members
  • 2,739 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2008 - 03:12 PM

When you start the computer from off, use the F8 key and start tapping it when you hear the PC start and keep tapping until the dark screen come up, if it says something about you key board, . . keep tapping, until a screen with options comes up saying safe mode and there will be other options, you then use your pointer keys to navigate, ( the keys lower right next to the letter keys), navigate to Safe mode then, click, "Enter"

Let me know if you can get that.

Sorry thats F8 key.

Edited by Jove, 20 September 2008 - 03:13 PM.

living again !

vrwqzc.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users