Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop Will Not Hibernate!

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 tyroto411

tyroto411

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:05 PM

Posted 20 September 2008 - 11:54 AM

I could always close the lid and it would hibernate, now all of a sudden it will not work. I have no idea what's going on. Please, if you can help me please post because this is really annoying me. :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:05 PM

Posted 20 September 2008 - 12:13 PM

Check your power settings under Control Panel.

#3 tyroto411

tyroto411
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2008 - 12:23 PM

I've done that but still no results. :thumbsup:

#4 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2008 - 12:39 PM

Check for updates to your lap top via manufactures link.

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:05 PM

Posted 20 September 2008 - 12:45 PM

Can you manually set it to hibernate? Try shutting down the computer, and in the box where it says "Standby" "Turn Off" and "Restart" are you able to click on the "Standby" button? If so, press the "Shift" key and the "Standby" should change to "Hibernate". Does the computer hibernate this way?

If not, then I'd suspect that there's a minor corruption of your video drivers (this accounts for most hibernation/standby issues that I've seen). The "fix" is to uninstall your video drivers and then install a freshly downloaded copy of the latest version for your system.

If you can't locate the latest video drivers for your system - post back with the exact make and model of your laptop and we'll see what we can find.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 tyroto411

tyroto411
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2008 - 12:59 PM

Actually, I can't get it to hibernate manually either. I'm also not sure how to uninstall or install the drivers so my laptop is Gateway MX7525.

#7 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2008 - 01:08 PM

Go to Gateway.com and look for drivers under the support pages.

#8 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2008 - 01:28 PM

Try this driver: http://support.gateway.com/support/drivers...p;uid=208948493
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#9 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2008 - 01:42 PM

Try this driver: http://support.gateway.com/support/drivers...p;uid=208948493

Id be more inclined to beleive that this may solve the issue: BIOS Update from Sept 3rd 2008. Since the BIOS is what controls the power settings and the other ACPI Controls.

#10 tyroto411

tyroto411
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2008 - 02:24 PM

Whenever I try to do any of those updates I get this error.

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j63/tyroto411/Error.jpg

#11 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2008 - 02:39 PM

Go to Windows Update, and check for updates.

#12 tyroto411

tyroto411
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2008 - 02:50 PM

It says I don't have any high-priority updates.

#13 tyroto411

tyroto411
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2008 - 03:23 PM

I've also noticed that when I do Windows+L it says I have 1 program running but I have no idea what could possibly be running.

#14 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2008 - 03:27 PM

Unfortunately, we do not allow the posting of HiJackThis logfiles in this forum. I've sent a copy of your HJT log to you via PM and have deleted the post that contained it.

In my opinion you may have an infection on your system, so I'm going to move this topic over to the Am I Infected forum.

I suspect malware because of the presence of this file on your system: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/startups/r....exe-17316.html

#15 tyroto411

tyroto411
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2008 - 05:07 PM

Can anyone help me??

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users