Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Old Version Avg Download

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Chris Bar

Chris Bar

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:04 AM

Posted 20 September 2008 - 10:45 AM

Wanting to download an older version 7.5 since 8.0 seems to have totally unacceptable reporting to third parties (based in Chezk Republic so who knows what will happen there). I had 7.5 but removed it since it seemed to be erroneously reporting a trojan (maybe valid but cannot confirm unless I get 7.5 back). All the download sites seem to have only the latest version or they suck you into thinking you are getting 7.5 until you read the fine print.

Once I get this issue handled, will be looking for a new free virus checker. Tried to search for AVG in the search words but seems that word is too short? :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ruby1

ruby1

a forum member

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:04 AM

Posted 20 September 2008 - 12:30 PM

please see here
http://www.oldversion.com/program.php?n=avg

scroll down to the very bottom of that list for the latest avg 7.5 exe available; please note there will be no more program updates but ther will be virus database updates till ...we know not when;

May I suggest you create a folder in My Documents for such downloads so you have the exes safe somewhere and easily got at

May I also politely suggest that once you do have the avg 7.5 installed and fully updated you run a full computer scan with it for your own peace of mind?

Also, not sure what joy you will have I guess presumably uninstalling avg 8.0, but do NOT forget to disable it prior to uninstallation and I also suggest take a System Restore point too ...just in case

good luck :thumbsup:

I also notice you have this thread running

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/169628/two-trojans-identified-by-avg/

in which you state you are only on SP1; you need to follow Quietman7's instructions to get cleaned up then get SP2 on there as you are open to infections with only SP1 on there , plus, from the looks of it, an unreliable antivirus program

Edited by ruby1, 20 September 2008 - 12:34 PM.

#3 Chris Bar

Chris Bar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2008 - 09:54 AM

Thanks, downloaded several versions and none would install due to errors. The 7.5 version I have on my laptop is not shown; wonder if those shown work? Not sure if the earlier identified trojan is the issue or what the problem might be. Have switched that desktop off and now on a laptop. Is there another free virus probram that I might get to use. Even tried the 8.0 and it will not go either. Had been busy with other stuff but guess this might take some of my time to resolve.

#4 ruby1

ruby1

a forum member

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2008 - 10:10 AM

Did you go to the very bottom of the list ?this exe
http://www.oldversion.com/download.php?idl...1706a37801014d6
If you wish to get an up to date check of the computer for any lurking nasties you could try an on line scan from Trend
http://housecall.trendmicro.com/uk/

Be aware that the scan definitions may take a wee while to upload on the first attempt

Did you try a System Restore on the comp,and did you happen to save the exe of the avg 7.5 you originally used?

#5 Chris Bar

Chris Bar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2008 - 11:05 AM

Used add or delete prog under control panel. Had saved the downloaded .exe file to extract again later, but when I deleted the Avg program, it reached out and took it all, including the file I had saved elsewhrere...not under desktop where they normally reside. Did not expect that to happen.
Yes, I tried a restore and it will not work even to the day before, which started happening after the trojan was identified. The trojan identified was in the restore files which I manually deleted; I thought it was a false ident...guess not!
Thanks for the reference...think I will try a scan from the site you suggest. Apparently there are not any other sites that have virus ware for free download.

#6 Chris Bar

Chris Bar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2008 - 11:22 AM

Well, tried again to install, and thought it went fine, just like yesterday. Avg says successfully installed, but when I look at the directory Grisoft, there are only two old remaining files from the old installation, and nothing else and no icon on the desktop to start a program maybe installed elsewhere. Same as yesterday. I cannot seem to delete the old files...even changed from read only under properties but I cannot get them deleted and I own this computer. And Avg specifically disallows installing in a different directory. I think Avg is messing with me.

#7 Chris Bar

Chris Bar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2008 - 12:21 PM

Tried the Trendmicro...fine print says data is downloaded to your computer permanently. so I left. I wonder about permanent. Like the two Avg files I cannot remove. Any info on this question; have heartburn here on permanent anything but at least they say so upfront. They are in UK so I cannot easily call them.

#8 ruby1

ruby1

a forum member

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2008 - 06:04 AM

I think you need moving to the 'Am I infected' section to get the more intense help than you will get here; I will ask the Team to do that
With the Trend Micro scan, did you get as far as acccepting the Java applet ? YOu may need to try again and watch the screan as you have to progress from one screan which is the initial one to the next one with then downloads the definitions accecpt two items for it to proceed

Can you locate the AVG program in you Start menue and run it from there to get your updates?
Can you try running a couple of scans for the Team to see what may be happening?Please follow the instructions on this posting by Rigel ( mod) to run and report the findings of the malawarebytes program http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind...st&p=952509

also the instruction on this posting by Rigel ( Mod) on running and reporting on

Superantispyware
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind...st&p=945739

You may also wish to run the stand -alone program called Stinger http://vil.nai.com/vil/stinger/; the appropriate exe is http://download.nai.com/products/mcafee-av...001602.exe;this is the latest version of this tool so it requires NO update per ce ; from my experience with this tool may I suggest you empty your Temp internet files folder as a bug I was chasing at the time on a comp I ran it on actually multiplied IN that folder

Please post back the findings from those tools (Malawarebytes, Superantispyware and Stinger ) for the Team to examine and suggest further action for you

#9 Chris Bar

Chris Bar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2008 - 12:02 PM

As suggested I downloaded the Malawarebytes and updated, then scanned both by quick and full scan and found nothing. I downloaded also the newer version of Spybot and it also found nothing. I am not surprised because these programs detect malware,but not trojans or viruses...right or wrong?

I transferred the downloaded AVG 7.5 file for version 7.5.524 from my laptop to the desktop and uninstalled the non-working AVG then reinstalled the 7.5.524. It tried to scan but reported that resident shield is not loaded and not one of the four drives could be opened to do a scan, therefore it found nada.

I attempted to download the latest updates at which it reported I had the latest, and that I was running an old version that was no longer supported (this same version is on my laptop and I still get updates). On checking my desktop it reports the version of AVG is 7.5.430, not 7.5.524 which I had attempted to install. Seems the old stuff just will not come off my computer.

I will try again by downloading the old 7.5.430 and see if it will uninstall the version that is now installed, and then try to install 7.5.524 again.

#10 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2008 - 12:21 PM

http://free.avg.com/ww.download

this may sound crazy, but a google search indicates to cleanup old avg installs you have to downbload the latest and install then uninstall it

I don't think I would want to install the old 7.5 after the cleaning as it's not supported anymore, an AV that can't be updated is useless

I reccomend avira free
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#11 ruby1

ruby1

a forum member

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2008 - 02:41 PM

I retried the Trend micro scan on my comp; this reminded me that, when you get past the first screan and press the scan now tab, you are presented with another screan on which you need to scroll DOWN to get to the relevent tabs to proceed with the data download and agree to the signatures upload to your computer

as to avg 7.5; with respect, it is continuing to update definitions ( I updated mine today); it will not have any more program updates

and I think you still only have Service Pack 1 on there and NOT Service Pack 2? This alone means you are more vulnerable to infections BUT you should NOT update to the SP2 untill you know you are clean and clear from infections

Try running asquared free
http://www.emsisoft.com/en/software/free/

from http://download4.emsisoft.com/a2FreeSetup.exe

it can find a variety of nasties; fully update it then set it up to run a full deep computer scan; let us know what if anything it finds

#12 Chris Bar

Chris Bar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2008 - 03:16 PM

Problem is fixed, although when update is done, message announces I am running an old unsupported version. Found an old copy of the latest AVG and install went fine, as well as updates. Now, the only problem remaining is that I cannot change from one identify to another on Outlook Express by simply file, switch identity, select identity. That is another issue though and it will be posted separately if warranted. Many thanks for all the help resolving the problem.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users