Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can I Still Use Vb6 Just To Make .exe's?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Kanye

Kanye

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:09 AM

Posted 20 September 2008 - 10:39 AM

I know people are switching to VB.net because VB6 is outdated, but is that mainly just because VB.net doesn't support VB6 programming or something? What if I just make programs in VB6 as exes's? Will they still work on a regular computer? I really prefer VB6 over VB 2008 and would rather use VB6. If all I do is make .exe's with VB6, there shouldn't be compatibility issues when I use them on someone else's PC, right?

The main reason I Like VB6 is it doesn't require many other programs (while VB 2008 installs like 10 other programs after installation...) and the projects only create like 2 or 3 files (whereas VB 2008 creates multiple confusing files and folders...). I just want to create programs with standalone EXEs, not with installers. When I try to in VB 2008 and go to the Debug folder to take the EXE, it doesn't run on other PCs. I just simply want to create programs with one single EXE file that works on different computers, but I don't think that's possible in VB 2008 without installers. So is VB6 the way to go and will there be any compatibility issues?

Edited by Kanye, 20 September 2008 - 10:41 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Billy O'Neal

Billy O'Neal

Visual C++ STL Maintainer

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,304 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:09 AM

Posted 20 September 2008 - 11:23 AM

The main compatibility issue arises from running on top of the VB6 runtime, which was last supported on windows 2000.

Billy3
Twitter - My statements do not establish the official position of Microsoft Corporation, and are my own personal opinion. (But you already knew that, right?)
Posted Image

#3 Kanye

Kanye
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2008 - 11:29 AM

So does that mean if I made standalone VB6 executables for the most part they would work?

#4 Billy O'Neal

Billy O'Neal

Visual C++ STL Maintainer

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,304 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:09 AM

Posted 20 September 2008 - 04:56 PM

Well.. the thing is there's no such thing as a "standalone VB executable". VB6 ALWAYS runs on top of the runtime, which needs to be installed on the target machine before they are able to run VB executables. VB.NET runs on top of the .NET framework. You are going to have a hard time supporting some XP features, as well as Vista and beyond if you are using VB6, simply because the runtime was not designed to run on these newer operating systems.

There are a lot of reasons for not using VB6 enumerated in this thread:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind...st&p=913248

Billy3
Twitter - My statements do not establish the official position of Microsoft Corporation, and are my own personal opinion. (But you already knew that, right?)
Posted Image

#5 Jonny Walker

Jonny Walker

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2008 - 03:06 PM

if you aim is to make "small" and "simple" application in vb6 then the application will be compatible too all Win OS (as long as you include any runtime files you gone use)

if you aim for something bigger and more complex then you should consider moving to another programming language

#6 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2008 - 03:22 PM

If you want to make small, standalone EXEs then use C or C++ language and have a knowledge of Windows API.

EXEs generated by VB6, and any .NET language like C# are not standalone. They require many frameworks, runtimes and what not.

VB6 is outdated. It does not support 64bit programming, so EXE's generated by it wont be able to make use of 64bit processor features, like the ones generated by VB.NET.

#7 Keithuk

Keithuk

• Members
  • 957 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:09 PM

Posted 22 September 2008 - 06:34 AM

Yes Kanye if your happy with VB6 then there is no reason to change to VB.Net. You can make any type of VB6 exe small or large to run on any Windows system, I have without any problems.

You will find that WinNT systems have the VB6 runtime files installed as standard. If your app uses extra ActiveX's/controls then you may have to add these to the Win\Sys folder in order for you apps to work. :thumbsup:

Keith

Windows ME (spare computer)
Windows XP 2002 Professional SP3 (desktop computer)
Windows 7 Professional SP1 32bit (laptop computer)

Windows 8 64bit spare drive for laptop computer

#8 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2008 - 09:28 AM

You will find that WinNT systems have the VB6 runtime files installed as standard. If your app uses extra ActiveX's/controls then you may have to add these to the Win\Sys folder in order for you apps to work. :thumbsup:

VB6 runtime files are not pre-installed on Windows Vista.

#9 Jonny Walker

Jonny Walker

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2008 - 01:28 PM

vb6 runtime files ARE included in vista.... why wouldn't they be anyway?

if u dont believe me take a look at this
http://blogs.msdn.com/jroxe/archive/2005/03/17/398325.aspx

#10 Keithuk

Keithuk

• Members
  • 957 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:09 PM

Posted 22 September 2008 - 02:04 PM

As Jonny says yes they are because my apps run straight of on Vista, why wouldn't they be? :thumbsup:

Keith

Windows ME (spare computer)
Windows XP 2002 Professional SP3 (desktop computer)
Windows 7 Professional SP1 32bit (laptop computer)

Windows 8 64bit spare drive for laptop computer

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users