Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Electroni voting machines

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 kandice

kandice

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:00 AM

Posted 02 August 2004 - 11:51 AM

more and more states are buying electronic voting machines. What are your thoughts?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Guest_brunt_*

Guest_brunt_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 02 August 2004 - 11:51 AM

anything computerized is not 100% foolproof!

#3 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2004 - 11:16 AM

Amen! Maybe it will make voting faster. But somebody might could hack it??? I vote for whoever 1 million times. You know! MAybe could happen i dont now but anything computerized can be hacked. I DO NOT PROMOTE HACKING IN ANY WAY!

#4 phawgg

phawgg

Learning Daily

• Members
  • 4,543 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:00 AM

Posted 03 August 2004 - 06:02 PM

hmmmm, scary thought...I don't like the idea

In my neck o' the woods, the absentee ballot promotion sorta brought about a rapid decline in attendance at the polling places and that meant voters no longer even see each other trying to influence their own lives on election day. I don't want to be any more helpless than I already feel I'm becoming when it comes to the government.

At any rate, digital voting does represent a major change, not one to accept without a lot of publicity and public discussion. Unless, of course, the parties would prefer we are paying strict attention to other matters for some reason. :thumbsup:
patiently patrolling, plenty of persisant pests n' problems ...

#5 kandice

kandice
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:00 AM

Posted 04 August 2004 - 06:33 PM

I guess we have allowed it to happen. According to an article in the Nation magazine, in Nov 36 million votes will be counted "completely inside the new paperless, direct recording-eleectronic(DRE) voting systems on which you vote directly on a touch screen." Unlike ATM you get no receipt. A government expert says " the ballot is embedded in the voting equipment" "No one can tell what is going on inside . "An election official can't watch the bits inside" says Dr Peter Neuman a computer scientist at the Computer Science Laboratory of SRI International and world authority on computer based risks."
We voters need to demand (at the very least) a paper trail in case of recounts. For more info go to www.truthout.org.

#6 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2004 - 09:06 PM

You go Kandice! Amen but i still think any system can be hacked!

#7 Bluie

Bluie

• Members
  • 160 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2004 - 12:31 PM

On one side they tell us that the net is secure to use your plastic and then in the other that voting would not be secure. Duh?

Wouldn't it be neat to be able to see the actual real time count on your screen? No waiting or estimating.

Let's see, would that make Alaska and Hawaii the swing votes as the last polls to close?

Not that the public vote means diddly!!

#8 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:00 AM

Posted 05 August 2004 - 01:08 PM

True very true! I mean there is identity theft daily by hundreds of people by their credit cards! But hey there safe too! NOt always!

#9 pondering

pondering

• Members
  • 313 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2004 - 11:46 PM

For the first time in my life, I will vote absentee ballot. I hope it doesn't get round filed. I have used the electronic machine, ours also has a paper under it. Not sure I trust it tho. I heard the UN is going to monitor our election, don't know if that is true.

#10 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2004 - 09:25 PM

They prob will! You have almost nothing that the Government doesnt know about you!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users