Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Graphics Card Not Recognised?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Luth

Luth

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:18 PM

Posted 20 September 2008 - 08:26 AM

Specs:

DELL INSPIRON 531
MEMORY DUAL CHANNEL 2GB (2X1024MB) 667MH
VIDEO CARD 256MB NVIDIA GEFORCE 8600GT PCI-E
WINDOWS VISTA HOME PREMIUM
AMD ATHLON64 X2 DUAL CORE 4400+
BESTEC 300W POWER SUPPLY
Award BIOS Type Phoenix - AwardBIOSTeDell System v6.00PG
Award BIOS Message 1.0.3
System BIOS Date 06/15/07
Video BIOS Date 11/03/06
(I cannot find the details of my motherboard, AIDA32 doesn't provide any info either...)

Hello,

My problem is as follows: Thursday morning I came to turn my computer, and was met with a blank screen (monitor: no signal), and unusual POST routine. The fans would spin up and spin down, and it would take a while for the regular POST single beep to sound. The night before I had been using my computer for gaming, and had not experienced any graphical glitches that one might associate with graphics card failures. Switching to my onboard nvidia 6150 output, I managed to get the thing booted up and into Vista, where I checked device manager and no sign of my 8600.

I disconnected and reconnected the card, cleared the CMOS (by removing/replacing the battery), cleaned out the PCI-E slot and the card itself, tried booting with one stick of RAM out, then the other, but so far nothing has worked. The probable answer is that the graphics card has fried, but as I said there were no symptoms or gradual death if this is the case. It seems odd.

I cannot test the card in another computer, or test another card as I do not have access to another PCI-E machine,/card though I will enquire around.

Unfortunately the computer has just gone out of warranty (just my luck).

The only pertinent event viewer errors I can find are two consecutive ones on the the thursday morning:

'IRQARB: ACPI BIOS does not contain an IRQ for the device in PCI slot 9, function 0. Please contact your system vendor for technical assistance.'
'IRQARB: ACPI BIOS does not contain an IRQ for the device in PCI slot 11, function 0. Please contact your system vendor for technical assistance.'

Hopefully someone can shed some light on this as I don't want to fork out for a graphics card if that is not the issue.

Thankyou in advance; Matt.

Edit: sentence flow fix.

Edited by Luth, 20 September 2008 - 08:28 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,279 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:18 PM

Posted 20 September 2008 - 08:48 AM

Just to clarify: Your onboard video does work...but the installed card does not?

FWIW: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/930062

http://www.vistax64.com/vista-hardware-dev...-6-problem.html See comment at bottom by Rick Rogers.

Louis

#3 Luth

Luth
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:18 PM

Posted 20 September 2008 - 09:02 AM

Hi Louis, yes, the onboard card does work, and the PCI-E card does not.

I think the ACPI errors are unrelated as I found them previously in the event viewer on a regular basis, so don't worry about those.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users