Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How Do I Recover Files? They Disappeared!

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 FerdBrown

FerdBrown

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:13 PM

Posted 20 September 2008 - 06:40 AM

Hello experts, I need your help.

I turned on my pc every morning to check the news, but this morning it's different. When I turned pc on, it went as far as windows xp screen, but suddenly, in a flash, there's a blue screen that says:

STOP: c0000018 {Registry file failure}
The registry cannot load the hive (file) \SystemBoot\System32\config\software or its log or alternate.
It is corrupt, absent, or not writable.
Beginning dump of physical memory. Physical dump complete.
Consult with your system admin or tech support.

Then the screen will go to the reboot options wher I need to choose safe mode, last working configuration, normal mode, etc., I forget the rest. Plus since there is a 29 second countdown, I just left my pc rebooting itself thinking it has just gone mad for a while. But after 2 hours... it's mor of the same.

SO I checked my hp compaq boc and there was a piece of paper that it I do not have a restoration pc (which is true), I need to press F11.

I pressed F11, pc restarted itself, saw it was backing up files for a full 30 minutes. When I got in, I lost all my files.

Please help. My files are basically my life... docs, family pictures, all...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:13 AM

Posted 20 September 2008 - 07:11 AM

What is the exact make and model of your system?
What options did you press after selecting F11?

Since there seems to be some indication of a backup being done - where did it say it was storing the backup?

Do you recall the exact name of at least one of your documents/pictures/etc?
If so, go to Start...Search...and search for that file name. Select the All Files and Folders option, then type in the name of the document/picture. Then click on the "Look in" box and ensure that it's checking in all of your hard drives. Then select the "More advanced options" box and ensure that it's checking for System, Hidden, and Sub-Folders. Then click on Search and sit back and wait. Do not close the Search Window when it's done as that'll contain information on where the files are located.

If it does locate the missing file, let us know and we'll work on recovering it from there.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 FerdBrown

FerdBrown
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2008 - 07:48 AM

My PC is HP Compaq Presario V3000
Intel T2250 1.73GHz
512 MB RAM
Microsoft XP Home

After pressing F11, there were 2 options. 1) is "destructive" restart, that in my understanding will format my whole pc. 2) is something about windows only restart, which I think was a safe choice.

Then I began backing up date, to where and which it didn't show.

Two annoying observation, however: 1) there is one folder under my C:\Documents and Settings which is the same as my admin username, but is not accessible. Access is denied. 2) My memory in my hard drived has been maxed out, I still have like 1.5GB before all this happened, so I suspect this has something to do with backup, though I have no total idea why there was an increase use in my C drive memory.

I recall my files, seached using advanced options as suggested, including hidden files, but there were no files found.

I'm not sure if this is common to all laptops but there is a D drive that stores something like an in-house recovery file, so there is no need for a recovery CD. I think that was where the PC searched when instructing for me to press F11.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,416 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:13 AM

Posted 20 September 2008 - 08:16 AM

You can try this for accessing the unknown file in Docs/Settings: How to take ownership of a file or folder in Windows XP - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308421

Sometimes Docs/Settings folders (when moved to another drive or backed up) may interpret a user as not having the right to access files created under a different install/name, etc. In such cases, taking ownership allows the (new) user to access the files.

Louis

#5 FerdBrown

FerdBrown
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2008 - 09:37 PM

Thank you, I got it. File ownership solved it. The one file under C:\Documents and Settings, which ws previously inaccessibile and has 0 bytes capacity, is indeed the folder I have been looking for all under my profile. I got it back, all 22GB of it.

Thank you.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,416 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:13 AM

Posted 21 September 2008 - 10:03 AM

You are welcome, happy computing :thumbsup:.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users