Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Scans

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 lilachamster

lilachamster

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:29 AM

Posted 20 September 2008 - 06:38 AM

When carrying out scans with anti-virus/anti-spyware programs, is it ok to run more than one at a time or should they be done separately?
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

I used to think I was indecisive.... but now I'm not too sure

Some people come into our lives and quickly go. Others stay for a while and leave footprints on our hearts, and we are never, ever the same......

"Life can only be understood backwards, but it must be lived forwards." - Soren Kierkegaard

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,173 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:29 AM

Posted 20 September 2008 - 09:50 AM

I would not recommend that. The possibility is very good that one or both scanners will start looking into each others virus signature list. Then they will be scanning those files for who knows how long. Resulting possibility in a log of false positives found.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 lilachamster

lilachamster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2008 - 10:03 AM

I hadn't thought of that.

I was thinking it might save some time, but it seems it would probably have the opposite effect LOL

Thank you :thumbsup:

Some people come into our lives and quickly go. Others stay for a while and leave footprints on our hearts, and we are never, ever the same......

"Life can only be understood backwards, but it must be lived forwards." - Soren Kierkegaard

#4 ruby1

ruby1

a forum member

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2008 - 12:48 PM

Also, some scans are best run in safe mode and some in normal mode;and , unless you are running a scan such as Trends ON line scan ,to state the hopefully obvious run the scan OFF line and disconnected from the net

Usually best to run each scan separately and a good idea to keep an eye on what is going on in case youi get a warning pop up advise window you need to attend to :thumbsup:

#5 lilachamster

lilachamster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2008 - 03:44 AM

I do run the scans offline.

I didn't know some scans are best run in safe mode. Why is this, and how can I find out which ones should be run in safe mode?

#6 rowal5555

rowal5555

Just enough info to be armed & dangerous...

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:29 PM

Posted 17 April 2009 - 07:49 PM

A bit late lilachamster, LOL, but IMHO if you are not experiencing any specific problem then run your scan normally.

If you are having difficulties you suspect may be related to malware, then by all means use Safe Mode as there is a lot less clutter then.

Cheers

rowal5555 (Rob )                                                             

Avid supporter of Bleeping Computer's
Team 38444

You can help find a cure

#7 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• BC Advisor
  • 3,194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:29 AM

Posted 17 April 2009 - 09:11 PM

I recently registered with Sophos Antivirus trial edition and in email it said I could install Sophos Antivirus along with any other Antivirus I already have installed. Both are supposed to scan at same time. This blows my mind.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users