Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

10 Minutes To Start Computer In Xp

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 JAES4

JAES4

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:23 AM

Posted 20 September 2008 - 06:12 AM

Hi all,

When I start up my PC it takes about 10 minutes to get to the welcome screen. It just shows a black screen and then after 10 minutes boots up. Has only been this way for a couple of months.

Does anyone have any thoughts?

Thank you very much!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:23 PM

Posted 20 September 2008 - 06:25 AM

Computer type and model number would be nice, as well as computer specs.

Edited by cryptodan, 20 September 2008 - 06:28 AM.

#3 JAES4

JAES4
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2008 - 07:10 AM

Sorry ---

Dell Dimension 4550

#4 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2008 - 07:13 AM

First I would go to www.intel.com and check to make sure you have the latest drivers for your motherboard and other devices.

Second, I would then check the number of services starting up, and how many programs you have running.

Finally check to make sure your cables are nice and snug. With your computer it should be about 45 second boot up.

#5 JAES4

JAES4
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2008 - 07:19 AM

Thanks - I will give that a try. Is it possible that I have some sort of spam in my computer as well that could be slowing it down? Just seems strange that it would not work well after working fine for a couple of years. Thanks again

#6 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2008 - 07:32 AM

Try my suggestions, and if they do not work then we will continue to troubleshoot this. Is your computer fully update.

#7 JAES4

JAES4
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2008 - 07:18 PM

I really have not done much updating on my computer other than the windows updates.

#8 JAES4

JAES4
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2008 - 07:55 AM

How can I check to see if I have the correct drivers for my hardware? Also, how can I tell what services are running?

Thanks again

#9 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2008 - 08:16 AM

How can I check to see if I have the correct drivers for my hardware? Also, how can I tell what services are running?

Thanks again

You can check by going to http://www.dell.com and head to support pages for your computer. Check what you have installed hardware wise then head to the vendors of your hardware and check there.

#10 ruby1

ruby1

a forum member

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:23 PM

Posted 21 September 2008 - 08:32 AM

It would be extremely helpful to know which antivirus program you are running and what other protection programs are on board; when were they all last fully updated and run on deep computer scans? What is your Firewall and is it activated?

Are you on XPSP2 yet?

#11 JAES4

JAES4
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2008 - 09:44 AM

I run Ad Aware SE Plus and then occassionally run SpyBot. I did check the Dell site and believe I have the most current downloads for my hardware. It seems like my issue is harddrive related and perhaps I have some kind of issue there. When I performed a deep scan with Ad Aware my system got better for about a day and then regressed back into this 10 minutes to start problem. Hope this info helps...Thanks again for any help you can provide!

#12 ruby1

ruby1

a forum member

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:23 PM

Posted 21 September 2008 - 09:54 AM

To try to eliminate an infection as the cause of your problems, could you kindly confirm which antivirus program you think you have on board? and when you last updated it ? Also; do you have SP2 installed?

One might also ask when you last ran a Disc deframent?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users