Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Vista Won't Boot From Hdd Or Dvd

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 dhgunit

dhgunit

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:40 PM

Posted 20 September 2008 - 04:11 AM

I've have been to a couple of forums with this problem, hopefully someone with knowledge and experience here can answer.

I've had this build working for many months, and have never had this problem.

Anyways, I restarted the computer and it goes through the boot and enters the windows startup error screen. I chose "Start Windows Normally" the first time, all that happened was it would restart the computer and go to that screen again. I tried all the other options and the same thing happens, even when trying to boot into safe mode.

I got my Vista CD and put that in, the initial loading screen would reach 100% and then the computer restarted. It would do that over and over again.

I have checked each stick of RAM individually and ran memtest86 for 18 hours with no errors. CPU temps are 35*C. I have switched hard drives and gotten the same problems.

I am out of ideas.....anyone have one for me?

Antec Nine Hundred
Hiper Type-R 580 Watt Modular PSU
ASUS P5Q Pro P45
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 OC'ed to 3.4 Ghz
Zalman CNPS9700 110mm
eVGA GTX 260 SSC 896MB
OCZ ReaperX HPC 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR2 1000
Western Digital Caviar SE16 640GB
Hanns G 28" LCD Monitor

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:40 PM

Posted 20 September 2008 - 05:56 AM

The first step when troubleshooting an overclocked system is to set the system back to default values. Without that it's hard to tell what's causing the issue. The components inside the case are tied together, so the modification of one can affect the others - especially if a problem exists.

Also, I'd download and run the bootable Western Digital diagnostics utility from here: http://support.wdc.com/product/download.as...603&lang=en This may help to diagnose communications issues between the drive and the controller (on the motherboard)
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 dhgunit

dhgunit
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2008 - 06:18 AM

I will try that WD utility, if it can be run in DOS.

I have set everything back to defaults, that was the first thing I did.

#4 dhgunit

dhgunit
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2008 - 06:40 AM

That diagnostics utility says:

NO DRIVE FOUND

ERROR/STATUS CODE: 0120

Which is strange to get that, since the BIOS finds a HDD and it attempts to load Windows Vista but reboots.

Also, I put in my old Hitachi 80GB that worked fine last time I used it, and it would pull up the Windows Error Recovery screen and then reboot, and using the Windows CD to format the HDD produced the same rebooting results.

Edited by dhgunit, 20 September 2008 - 06:44 AM.

#5 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2008 - 07:24 AM

I'm leaning towards a motherboard issue here as this does appear to be a communications issue between the mobo and the hard drive. The key here is that this happens with 2 hard drives. To be sure, I'd hook one of the drives to another computer just to verify that it's good and accessible.

I'm unsure how your motherboard is setup, but some motherboards have more than 1 SATA controller onboard. If this is the case with yours, I'd suggest trying the hard drive on one of the other controllers. This will help to rule out a bad controller or a bad plug on the mobo.

And, just as an aside, I've seen stranger things caused by malfunctioning hardware, so it's not necessarily just a hard drive or mobo issue. For example, I've had several bad NIC cards (lightning struck) that have caused similar symptoms (questionable motherboard issues).

To be sure you'll have to strip the system down to bare essentials to see if the problem is replicated there - then substitute the essential parts one-by-one to rule them out. In the end (using this method), you'll either identify the problem - or will be left with a choice between the motherboard or CPU.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 dhgunit

dhgunit
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2008 - 07:33 AM

I've got an unused Pentium D sitting around, I can slip than on the mobo. I will hook the HDD up to my friends comp and give that a try.

Yeah, i've tried the other controllers, and this morning I switched power and SATA cables also. No luck so far.

#7 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2008 - 12:27 PM

Then it's just a matter of trying each part individually until you locate the one that's at fault. Stripping down the system to bare essentials just makes it easier to obtain a controlled testing environment. Once the testing environment is controlled, then it becomes a simple matter of swapping parts until you find out what's bad.

Although things like the keyboard and mouse are unlikely to be an issue here, it's important to swap out all parts in order to isolate the problem. For example, a short in the keyboard can cause weird behavior from the motherboard.

Good luck!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users