Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New Mobo And Grfx Card Not Workin

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 soulshard

soulshard

• Members
  • 146 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:27 AM

Posted 20 September 2008 - 12:18 AM

okay so i orderd a new motherboard and a new grafics card for my pc. i got an 8600 gts from evga. my old card was a ati radeon 13X00 Pro. my mobo new is ASUS P5Q Pro LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard 8-Phase Power Optimize Stable Overclocking CrossFireX. so when i put in the new grafix card, there was an error with the display and the monitor just has an error sayin stuff like "no input detected" BUT when i put in the old card, the pc works fine. so i thought maybe its because of the old graphics card drivers were still installed. so i put in the old card and tried to uninstall the drivers. after about 5 min, the card fried and the fan popped off the card. this was a very old card and the fan hasnt spun in a while so it was bound to happen at some point. but now when i try to put in the new card so i can at least boot, nothin happens. the thing is, i left the 8600 on my desk for a couple weeks while i waited for my new mobo. i get the feeling that the card got really hot and dusty while it sat there and now it dont work. so basically i wana know is this a software problem (like old drivers bein installed) or is it just the grafix card bein a fail and getting fried on my desk and not workin. SO plz help
thx =D

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 smurfgod

smurfgod

• Members
  • 446 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:27 AM

Posted 20 September 2008 - 01:52 AM

unless you had a space heater pointed at it I doubt heat is the issue. Those things get incredibly hot when they're hooked up (mine has seen 83C which is 181F) Does the fan spin up when its in the computer? I'd hook it up one more time, making sure its pushed in all the way, and check on the fan thing. If it still doesn't work and the fan doesn't spin, I'd RMA the video card. The fact that your old card worked (in the same slot correct?) lends to the fact that it is a bad video card, but the fact that your old card blew up in that slot, it could be a bad slot/motherboard too.

#3 Wildabeast

Wildabeast

Bleeping Lurker...

• Members
  • 1,259 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:27 AM

Posted 20 September 2008 - 02:59 AM

Please don't take this wrong, but, did you connect the power to the card? When I got a new card I missed the fact that it had a connection for a power plug, I can't remember if it was 2 or 4 pronged, but I thought I would ask.. :thumbsup:
"The nine most feared words in the english language, 'I'm from the government, and I'm here to help'..."
Ronald Reagan

#4 soulshard

soulshard
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 146 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2008 - 12:53 PM

Teh fan on my old Graphics Card Broke from the dust on it piling up around the rotar. So i dont wanna risk puting it back in, in fear of it potentially frying itself further and my mother board. On the other hand ,my 8600 GTs is not being detected on my monitor for some reason. MY mobo is fine everything else is on and working correctly but this bleepty graphics card issue.

the fact that my monitor doesnt detect my graphics card is it a software problem or a driver problem? and yes i conected the PSU to my 8600 graphics card.

#5 soulshard

soulshard
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 146 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2008 - 12:55 PM

I have not uninstalled the drivers for my previous graphics card, is this the issue? :thumbsup:

#6 soulshard

soulshard
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 146 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2008 - 01:07 PM

OKay so I just put in my new 8600 grapics card, plugged it into my PSU and the fan on thit is working, but same problem i turn on my monitor and it goes into sleep mode and says "No Input Detected". again...:[ is it a software problem or my previous drivers prbolem. CUz i mean if the fan on the graphics card is workking idk..

thanx.

#7 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,123 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:27 AM

Posted 20 September 2008 - 07:40 PM

You Video card Has 2 DVI out puts make sure your using the default connection. Are you using the DVI to VGA adapter or using a DVI-D cable?

Edited by Sneakycyber, 20 September 2008 - 07:40 PM.

Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#8 soulshard

soulshard
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 146 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2008 - 08:06 PM

Yea its got 2 DVI out puts, how do I know which 1 is the default connection? IM using the VGA-DVI adapter. Is that the problem :thumbsup:

#9 soulshard

soulshard
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 146 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2008 - 08:10 PM

I was using the same VGA to DV-I on my previous card, the problem is not the adapter, least I dont htink it is, cuz the adapter worked with my other graphics card. :thumbsup:

#10 soulshard

soulshard
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 146 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2008 - 09:06 PM

Ive been Playin around with it, the VGA-DVI adapter, the monitor-card cable, and the monitor itself are not the problem, any thoughts? :thumbsup:

#11 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,123 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2008 - 07:32 AM

Your owners manual should tell you which slot is the correct one. Try them both. Your video card should have come with its own adapter, but the adapters should be the same regardless. Make sure there are not any bent pins on the connectors. You should uninstall the old graphics card before installing the new one. Also make sure if you have on board video its disabled in the bios.
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer

#12 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2008 - 08:35 AM

IM using the VGA-DVI adapter. Is that the problem

I wouldn't rule it out just yet. You're not using a KVM switch with this setup, are you?
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#13 soulshard

soulshard
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 146 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2008 - 12:06 PM

Nope im not using a KVM switch, the cable runs from my monitor into the VGA_DV-I adapter into the g-card.With the On board Video Im not sure if its a physical BIOS switch on the monther board or a sfotware to disable/enable it, if its software im kinda screwed cuz I cant see anything on my monitor as it doesnt detect the g-card. Im using a lap top atm. HOw would I go about uninstalling the drivers and disabling/enabling onboard Video BIOS when my monitor is in sleep mode? :[

link to my mobo:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16813131299

link to my G-card everything is identical except its a 4pin not a 6pin boy slot to the power suply
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ShowImage.as...rd%20-%20Retail

#14 soulshard

soulshard
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 146 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2008 - 12:33 PM

I dont have on board video..lol :thumbsup:

#15 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,123 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2008 - 02:42 PM

Make sure your video card is in the Blue PCI-E Slot and not the black one. We have covered almost everything. Check your power connections, check your power supply, check your cables for bent pins, check your adapter for bent pins, make sure your monitor even works. Try reinstalling the old video card to see if you can get anything. If there is nothing major wrong with the old one aside from a little dirt it shouldn't cause any damage. If you can get into windows, uninstall the drive suite from ATI through add/remove programs. Then turn off your computer and try the new card again. If there still no luck I would RMA the new card and get another one.

Edited by Sneakycyber, 22 September 2008 - 02:42 PM.

Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users