Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Found The Pc (i Hope)

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 MrClose

MrClose

• Members
  • 176 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:31 PM

Posted 19 September 2008 - 11:40 PM

I promised to come back and let everyone know what my selection for a new pc was going to be.
All of you folks were so kind in your suggestions and help.

OH .. Believe me .. Some of you sent me links to some pc's that made an old man want to cry!

The Very Best and most incredible machines that anyone could Ever hope to own!

After pouring through many, many emails and reading the responses in this forum, I have settled on the following pc. (link below)

I Know, I Know .. You young fellows May not like it but .. I would still appreciate your opinions on it.

Any feedback, (before I go and purchase it tomorrow, at around 6:00 pm, LOL) Will be Greatly Welcomed.

MC (paul)
http://tinyurl.com/4fbcat

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2008 - 12:27 AM

That PC should do nicely for everyday tasks. Where are you purchasing it from?

3939.png

#3 MrClose

MrClose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 176 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2008 - 12:37 AM

Actually, Best Buy and Circuit City both have it .. "But" I am buying it at Costco with the 24" monitor for 1300 dollars. (Really nice monitor)

MC

#4 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2008 - 12:43 AM

Actually, Best Buy and Circuit City both have it .. "But" I am buying it at Costco with the 24" monitor for 1300 dollars. (Really nice monitor)

MC

NICE!! I just got a 24-inch BenQ monitor myself, I can use this thing as a TV if I wanted.

3939.png

#5 MrClose

MrClose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 176 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2008 - 12:43 AM

DJBPace07

When you say that this pc would be good for everyday tasks .. does that mean that it is just average?

Darn, It looked like a high quality, big time pc to me?
How about that video card?
I don't want another "integrated" onboard video chip like I got last time.

#6 MrClose

MrClose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 176 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2008 - 12:47 AM

BTW
Thank You for reading and responding to my post.

#7 smurfgod

smurfgod

• Members
  • 446 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:31 PM

Posted 20 September 2008 - 01:13 AM

the video card on it is great. The PSU seems quite low though. I wouldn't worry about buying one right away. but if things seem laggy or something, heat gets too high, or if it ever just shuts off, that would be the first thing i would do. The designers know what they're doing, but it seems they skimped a bit on that component. Other than that just gratz on your new computer. Should serve you quite well.

#8 zedsed420

zedsed420

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:31 PM

Posted 20 September 2008 - 01:58 AM

I have to agree with everyone else here mr close. This does seem to have alot of bang for the buck. I also am curious how well that power supply unit holds up. Thats alot of system for a little 400w psu. Let us know how it does and how well vista 64 bit works out for you. I tried it twice and had some pretty significant issues with it. lack of available software and driver compatibility issues and such. It is a "big time" pc compared to many others but they did as others have said "skimp" on some pretty significant parts. If you haven't already purchased it I encourage you to look elswhere. For comparison sake look at this rig from a place I haved purchased 2 pc's from. Both with excellent delivery and tech support. http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/system/Gamer_Ultra_6200/ It's perfect for the tasks you poited out in your previous thread and half the price. Could you use a few extra bucks? I could.

Edited by zedsed420, 20 September 2008 - 02:06 AM.

Asus Crosshair III  Motherboard, AMD PhenomII x4 965 custom watercooled XSPC Raystorm copper block,  8g Mushkin Blackline
2 XFX Radeon 4890's in Crossfire mode custom watercooled full copper EK blocks,  XSPC rs360 triple 120 radiator 
850w Antec full modular 80plus certified,  NZXT Switch Black case  Custom Watercooled Laing DDC w/ XSPC pumptop res

Tygon black tubing,  all Bitspower fittings and clamps, 2 Samsung 1T spinpoint F1's 

Windows 7 Professional x64 dual boot Ubuntu 12.10

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,873 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2008 - 10:42 AM

If it makes you happy and you have the money for it...what can anyone say?

Seems to me like overkill for the routine tasks that you previously outlined...but that's just my perspective (the right tool for the right job).

As previously pointed out...any number of systems with less would do the job as well. I noted all the various references to what a great gaming system you have your eye on...do you game?

Louis

#10 MrClose

MrClose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 176 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2008 - 12:30 AM

Hey Everyone!

I Gotta tell you .. "This Thing Is GREAT"!
Bought it at Costco today.
The Gateway FX 4710-UB802A

For the folks who are worried about the 64 bit system, Gateway includes a disc that allows you to convert to the 32 bit system.
I have Never Heard a computer that is So Quiet that you Have to put your ear on the case to make sure that it is really running. (Even then, your not really sure.)

I am really happy with this purchase!
You outta see the 24" monitor!
Not a gammer myself but .. With this thing .. Who Knows? LOL

MC (Paul)

#11 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,873 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2008 - 02:05 PM

Enjoy your system :thumbsup:, happy computing!

Louis

#12 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,116 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2008 - 06:23 PM

Nice choice looks like a great system. Let us know if you need any further help :thumbsup:
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#13 Pray For Snow

Pray For Snow

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2008 - 08:11 PM

"not a gamer..but with this thing, who knows"

Hahaha that must be a great feeling