Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Blue Screen 0x000000d1

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 itsbaxagain

itsbaxagain

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:22 AM

Posted 19 September 2008 - 11:06 PM

Well, it all started when my computer won't connect to the internet. So I thought it was my network card so I put another one in (PCI) I was using onbroad. After I put the card in I went to start my PC and it came up with error code 0x000000D1. So I booted up in Safe Mode and I seen I had 21 other Network adapters installed on my PC before. So I tried to uninstall them and could not so I went to the registry keys(HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E972-E325-11­CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} ) and deleted them from there then I went back to the device manger and uninstalled them and it worked.
Then I restarted and after the Windows logo this blue screen came up (0x000000CD)

Saying:"The system is attempting to access memory beyond the end of the allocation. This usually indicates a system-driver synchronization issue."

I have a Asus A8n-VM-CSM

Does anyone have any idea what should do?

Thanks josh.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2008 - 06:45 AM

This is most likely a problem with a driver - but can also be caused by memory issues.

In most cases, I'd usually recommend troubleshooting the memory issues first - but due to the STOP 0xCD error I'd run Driver Verifier first.

To do this, go to Start...Run...and type in "verifier.exe" (without the quotes) and press Enter.
In the next window, click on "Next" to Create standard settings
Then click on "Next" to Automatically select unsigned drivers
Then click on "Finish" to verify the list of selected drivers.
Reboot the system.

If you get a crash while rebooting, write down the information and look for a file name on the BSOD (more info on this here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/top...tml#entry409491 ). If it doesn't crash, then just keep on using your system until it crashes again.

If you can't get into normal mode, boot into Safe Mode. Then open up Driver Verifier again and this time select "Delete existing settings" in the first screen and click on "Finish". This may let you boot into normal mode (depending on what driver is causing the crash).

If the crash listed a file name in the BSOD - let us know what it is and we'll get to work on figuring out the fix. If it doesn't mention a file name, then you'll have to perform an analysis on the dump file created for the crash caused by the Driver Verifier. To do this, follow the instructions at this link: http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=35246 and copy/paste the results of the analysis back here for us to have a look at.

While you're waiting for a reply, you can try this free, bootable memory test: http://www.memtest86.com/ Follow the directions to create a bootable CD and then boot from the CD to let the test run. Let it run for at least 3 passes (although overnight is better). If it starts giving errors you can stop the test and post back here.

Also, since this could involve the pagefile, I'd suggest re-creating your pagefile to remove any possible corruption from there. To do this:

a ) Go to Start...Run...and type in "sysdm.cpl" (without the quotes) and press Enter.
-Then click on the Advanced tab,
-then on the Performance Settings Button,
-then on the next Advanced tab,
-then on the Virtual Memory Change button.
b ) In this window, note down the current settings for your pagefile (so you can restore them later on).
-Then click on the "No paging file" radio button, and
- then on the "Set" button. Be sure, if you have multiple hard drives, that you ensure that the paging file is set to 0 on all of them.
-Click OK to exit the dialogs.
c ) Reboot (this will remove the pagefile from your system)
d ) Then go back in following the directions in step a ) and re-enter the settings that you wrote down in step b ). Follow the steps all the way through (and including) the reboot.
e ) Once you've rebooted this second time, go back in and check to make sure that the settings are as they're supposed to be.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 itsbaxagain

itsbaxagain
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2008 - 01:32 PM

When I went to start up my machine this morning this blue screen popped up 0x44 MULTIPLE_IRP_COMPLETE_REQUESTS.

So I restarted and went in Safe Mode and ran verifier.exe then I went to restart and it did not. So I had to do it my self. Then when it came up BSOD STOP 0xC4 Saying: “A device driver attempting to corrupt the system has been caught. The faulty driver currently on the kernel stack must be replaced with a working version” There was no file name. only the parameters after the STOP code.
Still cannot get into Normal mode. Then I tried to get into safe mode and it just keeps coming up with the BSOD STOP 0xC4

#4 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:22 AM

Posted 20 September 2008 - 01:46 PM

Id remove the most recent hardware install, and also disable the onboard NIC in the BIOS.

#5 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2008 - 03:05 PM

If it's crashing in Safe Mode, then it's not a driver that loads normally (such as the NIC driver) unless you're attempting to boot to Safe Mode with Networking.

In my XP virtual Machine, the following drivers load in Safe Mode (all are Microsoft drivers):
dmboot
Logical Disk Manager Driver
dmload
vga
VGA Display Controller.

This does not include the boot start drivers - which are the same in any installation.

You'll need to use a boot CD (such as the Ultimate Boot CD) to enable off-line editing of the drivers that start. You may even be able to run Autoruns (free here: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinte...s/bb963902.aspx ) to get at the starting items and disable them one at a time - or there may be a similar utility with the Ultimate Boot CD.

While you're in the boot CD, you can copy the memory dump file to removable media and can run the Debugging Tools on another system to find out what's causing the crash.

I'd still run the memory diagnostic, and would consider running a bootable hard drive diagnostic - just to rule out some hardware problems that could be mimicking driver issues.

Beyond that, I'd consider doing a repair install of XP. It'll leave your programs and data intact (but backup anyway), while replacing the core Windows system files. If you have Internet Explorer installed, read this article first: http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=917964 Then the steps for the repair installation are here: http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 itsbaxagain

itsbaxagain
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2008 - 04:03 PM

I keep getting the file win32k.sys BSOD

I tried doing a repair and it just came up with that

#7 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2008 - 04:11 PM

This is looking more and more like a hardware issue to me (as there's no reason that a repair installation should throw a BSOD with a critical Windows file as the cause (since you replaced it with the repair install)). I'd strongly suggest that you run the memory diagnostic and a hard drive diagnostic.

#8 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:22 AM

Posted 20 September 2008 - 04:12 PM

Replace the hard drive, and do a memory test using http://www.memtest86.com.

#9 itsbaxagain

itsbaxagain
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2008 - 05:12 PM

Just to let you guys know I thank you muches! :thumbsup:

And I am running memtest now and it found a error well many errors... it was all errors haha so I stopped it and took out all my mem sticks and now I am testing them one by one.

But I was able to boot into normal mode with a memory stick that did work. It is just all my settings are messed up and I have to figure them out.

but if I have any more questions or problems I will report back here. Thanks again guys.

Edited by itsbaxagain, 20 September 2008 - 05:13 PM.

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,415 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:22 AM

Posted 20 September 2008 - 05:24 PM

You may be able to get around your memory situation...by adjusting your bus speed in the BIOS.

Errors on Memtest could be the modules separately...could be the modules together, particularly if they are not both from same manufacturer or have different timings...could be RAM sockets on motherboard (individually or together).

It would help if you would post the detail of the errors reflected in Memtest, indicating what RAM module and what pass the error occurred on (as well as the error itself).

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 20 September 2008 - 05:25 PM.

#11 itsbaxagain

itsbaxagain
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2008 - 05:50 AM

Yeah its my memroy stick together. I have 1GB Ultra 2 128mb I put them as dual then I have a 256MB which I matched that with my 1GB.

But anyways the 256 and 2 128s are pretty old so I bought these: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16820231047

And I'll just run those dual channel then put my lone 1GB single for now.

Thanks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users