Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No Sound After Installing New Ethernet Card

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Bee117

Bee117

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:56 PM

Posted 19 September 2008 - 09:07 PM

Back story:

My house (and in turn) computer was struck by lightning. The why my computer was on, isn't the point, it happened over a year ago. My internet at school was fine, no disconnecting etc. When I graduated and came home this summer, it started acting up horribly. Lots of kicking off. Several friends recommended that I just buy a new PCI ethernet card. Simple and cheap fix and now everything with that is dandy.

Now:

My sound does not work. My original Sound Blaster Audigy 2 (I am on a 3.5 year old XP computer) stopped showing up in the Device Manager entirely. I noticed my sound "device" was the Realtek AC97 onboard sound.

Here's a list of what I've tried thus far:

1. turned off computer and checked connection of said card, it was loose, secured card in slot, checked all connections to card. Turned on computer, card is still not recognized.
2. Have checked BIOS settings and onboard sound is disabled. It was on auto, I just plain turned it off. No luck.
3. Have tried disabling new ethernet card, still no luck.
4. Have tested second set of speakers, nothing.
5. All volume levels are set to normal, nothing.

After this, I have generally assumed that my card is just plain broken if the computer is still not recognizing it whatsoever. I buy a Sound Blaster Audigy SE. I installed the new card, computer recognizes it, drivers all installed and updated. Device manager and SiSandra all say it's working great. I still do not have any sound. Now a new issue is that, and I do not know if these are related or merely coincidences, itunes will not play, winamp will not play, youtube does not play. I've yet to try anything else to play sound at the moment.

I am restarting my computer in between trying different settings. I know that can affect changes with new installations etc.

The only thing that brings up a red flag is the fact that in the IRQ my video card, sound card, and something called: VIA CHCI Compliant IEEE 1394 Host Controller all share PCI 16. Could this be contributing to my problem? Or possibly be the problem?

Any help of suggestions would be extremely appreciated. All explanations would be best given as simply as possible as I'm not terribly well versed in computer hardware issues. Thank you!

Edited by Bee117, 19 September 2008 - 09:15 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 19 September 2008 - 11:17 PM

IF you installed the drivers for your SB card:

Something to check.

Start/Control Panel.

Open Sound and Audio Devices.

Volume tab, click on Properties in Device Volume.

Play control should open.

Click on Options/Properties. Place a checkmark by everything, click OK.
Back to Options/Advanced Controls.

If under any of the categories, you see Advanced click on that, if a box opens that has
OTHER CONTROLS/1 Digital Output Only check if it's unchecked. (if you see Advanced in the panel Volume Control, you won't need to check any other advanced settings. With SB, this is the one that is key to sound you hear)
If it's unchecked, check it.

Open up a player, add a music file, do you now have sound?

Edited by Queen-Evie, 19 September 2008 - 11:20 PM.

#3 Bee117

Bee117
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2008 - 08:23 AM

Nope :thumbsup:

I think I'm doomed.

EDIT

Fixed! I switched the slot that the card was in.

Edited by Bee117, 20 September 2008 - 09:02 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users