Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Google Search Result Redirector From Hell

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
2 replies to this topic

#1 fatlee

fatlee

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:28 PM

Posted 19 September 2008 - 08:25 PM

I am fixing a computer for a friend, and no matter what I do the search results from google are redirected to loosely related ad pages. whatever is doing this drops a few cookies on the computer, namely two from 64.111.208.122 and 64.28.180.11. This is within firefox 3 with NO extentions or addons (other than AVG, more on this later)

The computer came with avast! installed, and had the BSOD screensaver which is usually associated with antivirusxp. Running ad-aware and spybot had not removed the problem so my friend turned to me. I initially used malwarebytes anit-malware to fix that, and ran cleanups in safe mode with spybot, adaware and smitfraudfix.exe just to be safe.

The only problem remaining on the computer is the google result redirect and it will NOT go away. I have used: combofix (not sure if recovery console was installed), fixwareout, sdfix, vundofix, smitfraudfix on each identity, Avast!'s scanner, AVG after uninstalling avast, and running spybot and adaware after each one to clean up stragglers. I have googled and researched each and every result of a hijackthis scan, and the only thing i came up with was a service, netsvc.exe, which is dangerous if it is in the system32 folder. this one is not; its where its supposed to be. I have used CCleaner and cleanup to remove all temp files, and of course before I did all this I turned off system restore. I tried to use rootkitrevealer but I'm not experienced enough to read it.

It has a sql service running, related to small business software. it had some addons from realplayer, yahoo and google installed but I removed them. The hijackthis log is pretty sparse, so I dont know how helpfull it will be. This is a real head-scratcher and I would appreciate it if you guys could take a look at it for me. Log is as follows:

Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.2
Scan saved at 20:11:21, on 9/19/2008
Platform: Windows XP SP3 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v7.00 (7.00.6000.16705)
Boot mode: Normal

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware\aawservice.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\LEXBCES.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\LEXPPS.EXE
C:\PROGRA~1\AVG\AVG8\avgwdsvc.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\CTsvcCDA.exe
C:\Program Files\Google\Common\Google Updater\GoogleUpdaterService.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\VS7DEBUG\MDM.EXE
C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL$MICROSOFTSMLBIZ\Binn\sqlservr.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\AVG\AVG8\avgrsx.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\AVG\AVG8\avgemc.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\LVCOMSX.EXE
C:\Program Files\Logitech\Video\LogiTray.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\hkcmd.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\igfxpers.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\AVG\AVG8\avgtray.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
C:\Program Files\Creative\Sync Manager Unicode\CTSyncU.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Works Shared\WkCalRem.exe
C:\Program Files\Logitech\Video\FxSvr2.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wuauclt.exe
C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\HijackThis\HijackThis.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Window Title = Windows Internet Explorer provided by Comcast
O2 - BHO: WormRadar.com IESiteBlocker.NavFilter - {3CA2F312-6F6E-4B53-A66E-4E65E497C8C0} - C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG8\avgssie.dll
O2 - BHO: SSVHelper Class - {761497BB-D6F0-462C-B6EB-D4DAF1D92D43} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_07\bin\ssv.dll
O2 - BHO: Google Toolbar Notifier BHO - {AF69DE43-7D58-4638-B6FA-CE66B5AD205D} - C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbarNotifier\3.0.1225.9868\swg.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ISUSPM Startup] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\UpdateService\ISUSPM.exe" -startup
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [LVCOMSX] "C:\WINDOWS\system32\LVCOMSX.EXE"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [LogitechVideoRepair] "C:\Program Files\Logitech\Video\ISStart.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [LogitechVideoTray] "C:\Program Files\Logitech\Video\LogiTray.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [igfxtray] "C:\WINDOWS\system32\igfxtray.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [igfxhkcmd] "C:\WINDOWS\system32\hkcmd.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [igfxpers] "C:\WINDOWS\system32\igfxpers.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG8_TRAY] C:\PROGRA~1\AVG\AVG8\avgtray.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [CTSyncU.exe] "C:\Program Files\Creative\Sync Manager Unicode\CTSyncU.exe"
O4 - Startup: WkCalRem.LNK = C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Works Shared\WkCalRem.exe
O6 - HKCU\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Control Panel present
O16 - DPF: {6E32070A-766D-4EE6-879C-DC1FA91D2FC3} (MUWebControl Class) - http://update.microsoft.com/microsoftupdat...b?1221868485468
O18 - Protocol: linkscanner - {F274614C-63F8-47D5-A4D1-FBDDE494F8D1} - C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG8\avgpp.dll
O20 - AppInit_DLLs: avgrsstx.dll
O23 - Service: Lavasoft Ad-Aware Service (aawservice) - Lavasoft - C:\Program Files\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware\aawservice.exe
O23 - Service: AVG Free8 E-mail Scanner (avg8emc) - AVG Technologies CZ, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\AVG\AVG8\avgemc.exe
O23 - Service: AVG Free8 WatchDog (avg8wd) - AVG Technologies CZ, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\AVG\AVG8\avgwdsvc.exe
O23 - Service: Creative Service for CDROM Access - Creative Technology Ltd - C:\WINDOWS\system32\CTsvcCDA.exe
O23 - Service: Google Updater Service (gusvc) - Google - C:\Program Files\Google\Common\Google Updater\GoogleUpdaterService.exe
O23 - Service: InstallDriver Table Manager (IDriverT) - Macrovision Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\Driver\11\Intel 32\IDriverT.exe
O23 - Service: LexBce Server (LexBceS) - Lexmark International, Inc. - C:\WINDOWS\system32\LEXBCES.EXE
O23 - Service: Intel NCS NetService (NetSvc) - Intel® Corporation - C:\Program Files\Intel\PROSetWired\NCS\Sync\NetSvc.exe

--
End of file - 4194 bytes

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 fatlee

fatlee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:28 PM

Posted 23 September 2008 - 08:38 PM

Nevermind, resolved

#3 teacup61

teacup61

Bleepin' Texan!

• Malware Response Team
  • 17,075 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:28 PM

Posted 02 October 2008 - 02:57 PM

Thanks for letting us know. :thumbsup:

Since this issue appears resolved ... this Topic is closed.

If you need this topic reopened, please request this by sending the moderating team a PM with the address of the thread. This applies only to the original topic starter.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.
Please make a donation so I can keep helping people just like you.
Every little bit helps! :)
You can even use your credit card! Thank you!

Posted Image

Error reading poptart in Drive A: Delete kids y/n?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users