Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Comfort Zone for CPU's

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:46 PM

Posted 27 April 2005 - 05:48 AM

With today's P4's running at 3.2GHz out of the box (ad I don't know what when overclocked) and people having to put 450W power supplies into their machines to keep them running, cooling is a big issue. But cooling to what temperature?
I did some searches on processors and ended up drowning in numbers, so I thought I'd just ask for your opinions:

In terms of temperature, what's the comfort zone for your CPU?

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rigel

rigel

FD-BC

• Members
  • 12,944 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:46 AM

Posted 27 April 2005 - 07:46 AM

Hi Rimmer,

I found this...

Processor Spec Finder

Click on the model you want and it gives the recommended temperature.

Good luck,

Rigel

"In a world where you can be anything, be yourself." ~ unknown

"Fall in love with someone who deserves your heart. Not someone who plays with it. Will Smith

#3 junkdk

junkdk

• Members
  • 345 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:46 AM

Posted 27 April 2005 - 10:04 AM

Dear Rimmer,

Before I went fan crazy my CPU temps were reaching 120 F/62C. That's not good. Thermalright recommends a nice cool 44 C to 54 C. That's even when running games.

I am running some of the setup you have currently at 44 C and I am in the green. Now I have Thermalrights X-90C heatsink with Vantec's Tornado on my CPU running now at 5vdc. I have a switch to turn it to 12vdc when I play games, but its loud. It cools it fast down 10 degrees.

Really, when I'm playing games and I see it glitch, I turn it to 12vdc for a while. It works nice.

I have 12 fans cooling my computer and it purrs like a kitten.

Let us Know,

Junkdk :thumbsup:
Your Hardware Guide.

#4 Rimmer

Rimmer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2005 - 06:10 PM

Thanks for the specs Rigel but I was really asking about real world data, such as your own system.

My 3.2GHz P4 is in a mini system with a temp controlled extractor fan so when I'm browsing it purrs and when I'm gaming it roars - which of course you don't notice because of the game noise. The CPU generally sits around 50C but might get to 60C when hard pressed.

I know someone with a mini-tower whose CPU sits at 67C (due to really bad arrangement of PSU, CPU and AGP card creating a ventless enclosure in which to 'cook' the CPU.

But I've seen posts (some here) of people talking about their CPU's running at ~23C :thumbsup:

So that's why I'm curious what CPU have you got, and what tempertature do you prefer it to run at?

Edited by Rimmer, 27 April 2005 - 06:25 PM.

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#5 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2005 - 06:23 PM

The CPU generally sits around 50C.

Currently, my AMD XP 3000+ is sitting at 31 C and the motherboard is at 24 C. It may get worse in the summertime. My system is a little noisy - I've got three case fans and the power supply fan as well as the processor fan. Case fans are front, side and top rear.

#6 rigel

rigel

FD-BC

• Members
  • 12,944 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2005 - 06:52 PM

Rimmer,

I have a 1.7Ghz P4 running at 36 degrees C. I have a case fan, power supply fan, and a processor fan.

Rigel

"In a world where you can be anything, be yourself." ~ unknown

"Fall in love with someone who deserves your heart. Not someone who plays with it. Will Smith

#7 Powerboss

Powerboss

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2005 - 02:30 AM

Uh. This may sound like a stupid question but for all us computer ignoramuses exactly how do you check the temperature of your CPU?

#8 Rimmer

Rimmer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2005 - 03:25 AM

That's an excellent question Powerboss. I'm so used to having the utility provided by my motherboard manufacturer that I'd forgotten others may not have the same facility.
I'm pretty sure all modern BIOS versions monitor CPU temp and case temp and fan speeds, along with the various voltages supplied by the PSU. There are programs available to read that information and display it in Windows - but I don't have any idea what to recommend! The one I've got is only for Soltek mobos (and its pretty clunky anyway).

Recommendations please!

#9 Powerboss

Powerboss

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2005 - 03:28 AM

Hmm. Thanks. Now, if I could only get my computer to work so i can check the temperature..... :thumbsup:

#10 junkdk

junkdk

• Members
  • 345 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2005 - 04:29 PM

Dear Rimmer,

23C?!?!?!?!!?!?!? :thumbsup:

Who, what, and where? They must have some sort of external cooling device.

On a cold day, with AC cold, and a dozen fans my best is 34C.

I run a 3.2 P4 HT Prescott and my computer moves! Because of that it gets hot fast.

Who is getting 23C?

Not even liquid cooled can do that, unless it is a small processor. :flowers:

Let me know,

Junkdk :trumpet:
Your Hardware Guide.

#11 caterbro

caterbro

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2005 - 05:32 PM

My experience is this: the comfort zone for a CPU varies tremendously with the type of chip; different sockets and even different cores vary widely, and to further muddy things, each CPU is unique in a number of ways- I've seen three systems side by side running the same chip, memeory, etc., operating perfectly happily in three distinct temperature zones. it's not nearly as big a deal as people make it out to be- much beter to judge performance from benchmarks than by temp, and the specs are pretty much unreliable. and, just to make it more fun, the thermocouples used to measure temps are usually wildly inaccurate! hooray!:)

because the die-making procedure is pretty much a 'pray and spray' occasion, and the processes involved are damn near subatomic, the transistor patterns on a single die can vary widely- they chop them up into cores and sort them based on how much juice each little chunk can stand- or what quanity is needed for a particular run- that's why overclocking freaks get so worked up about "CPU from Week 97!!OMFG!!", because that week, maybe a particularly fine die was tested and sold at a far lower clock speed than it can really take.

real world, with modern chips, expect P4's to pull about 55-70 watts( thus temps around 55C-70C., but it's not a huge deal- many of the P4s I've handled recently, like the 3.0e, 3.2e, etc., seem to run just fine at 70c and higher, and most P4 boards don't have thermal event shutdowns until the 80's. perfomance is definitely helped by better cooling, but only up to a point- I don't see much difference ebtween a P4 runing at 60c and 40c. doing wacky overclocking like dunking your PC in a fishtank and getting the CPu close to the ambeint temperature WILL help- it's usually a PITA and far more trouble than slapping some ram, a decent GPU and a RAID array on there.

AMDs are touted as cooler- they are, mostly, and the new AMD64s are practically refrigerators- my AMD64 3000+ at home runs overclocked, full CPU usage, at a smokin' 35-7c :D. Athlons/durons run hotter- , but vary widely- expect 45-65c . as a rule, the CPU temp shouldn't delta much above 10c- huge spikes of 20c indicate a problem.

at home- Althon Tbird, stock cooling, 55-63c- runs like a dream. AMD64 3000+ Winchester 29-37c with a Zalman 7000Cu(rocks!). Celeron 2.2(in a laptop) 65-70. at work- Sempron 3000+- 40c. smoking new gaming machine we built- AMD64 3500+ 55-65c. i just saw a Pentium running at 200MHz with a heatsink that was quite literally too hot to touch. really cranked on that Windows 95, tho :)

desktop monitoring soft:

Motherboard Monitor - not garuanteed(sic) to work with everything.

SpeedFan- shrug- just tried it now, seems to work ok for me.

ok, so that was a long post...
Carl
----
Official puter fixer :D

#12 Rimmer

Rimmer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2005 - 07:51 PM

Wow! Thanks for all that great info caterbro, that was a really useful post!

junkdk - someone here said SpeedFan reported their system at 23C, I'm looking for the post. (Maybe they were reading the case temp?)

Ah, here it is: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/My_...-tx16915-0.html

PC WizKid Posted: Apr 27 2005, 08:13 PM
The computer could be over-heating it is restrating itself to protect the CPU.

FRADesigns  Posted: Apr 27 2005, 08:19 PM
I don't think its overheating as I have a speedfan on and is currently running at 27 degrees C

OK 27C not 23C, but I was close!

In my little non-airconditioned office here inthe land of OZ, in summertime when the ambient temperature is >35C, I often hear these strange alarm noises coming from my (old) system and wonder what they mean? :thumbsup:

Edited by Rimmer, 29 April 2005 - 08:17 PM.

#13 yano

yano

I can see what you post!

• Members
  • 6,469 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2005 - 09:05 PM

This may seem a little stupid as well, but I have a laptop and I wanted to check mine as well... to compare mine with yours. Also, if I need to how would I update my BIOS (to make sure it could check the temp of my laptop) if this is possbile.

My laptop is a Compaq Presarion 2176rs laptop.

#14 Rimmer

Rimmer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2005 - 09:47 PM

yanowhiz - I can't compare laptops with you since I don't own one! (too poor *cry*)
Try installing Speedfan it should be able to get info from your laptop. You'd have to refer to Compaq(HP) support for BIOS upgrade instructions.

Edited by Rimmer, 29 April 2005 - 09:48 PM.

#15 Rimmer

Rimmer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2005 - 10:08 PM

Hmm.. I've downloaded Speedfan to try it and these are the results at present:
Temp1 = 39C
Temp2 = 47C
Temp3 = 11C
Temp = 1C
HDD = 44C

Clearly some of these need to be taken with a grain of salt. Sadly its upset my original reporting software that now says my fans are running at 253000rpm and the system is on fire.:thumbsup:

Everything else seems OK though. I hope. :flowers:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users