Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Shuts Itself Off Now Everything Is Messed Up

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 bongripper

bongripper

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:44 AM

Posted 19 September 2008 - 04:09 PM

Hi I am running Windows Vista Ultimate SP1. I was recently playing Counter-Strike: Source, when out of nowhere my computer shut off. No shutdown process or anything, it just went straight to off. I booted it back up thinking, ok wtf just happened. Logged back into Vista and behold when my programs are starting up like usual. I get a bunch of errors. AVG no longer recognizes the license number, XFIRE wont start and gives me errors. When trying to reinstall these programs that aren't working I get multiple error messages doing with some sort of registration. System Restore is not an option because I have it disabled and there are no restore points. I'm on my wits end here, someone please help me.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 K()nT3nTs

K()nT3nTs

• Members
  • 150 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:44 AM

Posted 19 September 2008 - 07:31 PM

What types of error messages are you getting?

#3 ComputerWhizz7

ComputerWhizz7

• Members
  • 408 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:44 AM

Posted 19 September 2008 - 07:36 PM

That's Vista for you LOL.

Information we need to know:

What are the error types?
What do the error messages say?
Is your computer doing anything else that it shouldn't be doing?
I came, I saw, I conquered. - Julius Caeser

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:44 PM

Posted 19 September 2008 - 09:10 PM

multiple error messages doing with some sort of registration.

It would be nice to know what these said. Look in the Event Viewer for clues

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/40108/how-to-use-event-viewer/
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#5 bongripper

bongripper
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2008 - 09:56 PM

Hello guys and thank you in your interest to help me. Here is some information I have further found out. My Video Drivers are corrupted because when watching a video on youtube it is extremely choppy. My sound also does not work. The only app that works on my computer is Mozilla Firefox. I know, ironic huh? Also, I cannot upload pictures to any provider seeing as that my browse button does not work when clicked. I've noticed this with a lot of special function buttons, they are failing to work.

Here are the error messages I can provide you with:

1) CoCreateInstance failed; code 0x80040154. Class not registered.
2) When starting any program, COD4, CSS, etc. It either goest straight to a black screen or pops up a completely blank error window that says "Error" in the top bar and everything in the information box is blanked out completely except for the "OK" button. Which does not respond when clicked.

I hate to say it but I think my only option is to reformat. If any of you can think of a solution, please let me know. I will keep trying to find a solution myself as well. Thank you all, I appreciate it dearly.

Logs from Event Viewer:

1) Event filter with query "SELECT * FROM __InstanceModificationEvent WITHIN 60 WHERE TargetInstance ISA "Win32_Processor" AND TargetInstance.LoadPercentage > 99" could not be reactivated in namespace "//./root/CIMV2" because of error 0x80041003. Events cannot be delivered through this filter until the problem is corrected.

2) Faulting application iw3mp.exe, version 0.0.0.0, time stamp 0x4859a219, faulting module iw3mp.exe, version 0.0.0.0, time stamp 0x4859a219, exception code 0xc0000005, fault offset 0x000ecf26, process id 0x858, application start time 0x01c91ac9d2c31085.

3) Faulting application regsvr32.exe, version 6.0.6000.16386, time stamp 0x4549b3c7, faulting module GrabPro.dll, version 1.0.0.2, time stamp 0x48d0ab3b, exception code 0xc0000005, fault offset 0x00002d9f, process id 0x904, application start time 0x01c91a9808362721.

EDIT Reason: Updating error messages

Edited by bongripper, 19 September 2008 - 10:05 PM.

#6 ComputerWhizz7

ComputerWhizz7

• Members
  • 408 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:44 AM

Posted 20 September 2008 - 04:39 AM

From what I can see I would reformat. When the registry starts malfunctioning then it's that time of the month again :thumbsup:.

Edited by ComputerWhizz7, 20 September 2008 - 04:39 AM.

I came, I saw, I conquered. - Julius Caeser

#7 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,076 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2008 - 06:08 AM

I'm not real sure about Error #1, but it seems related to Windows Updates (which I'm not real good with)
Error #2 is a crash of a file related to COD4 - and it appears that the crash occurred because of a memory access issue
Error #3 is a crash of regsvr32.exe in GrabPro.dll because of a memory access issue.

So, IMO, there's several likely scenarios:
1) a malware infection
2) a problem with your video - either the drivers or the card
3) a problem with Windows

BUT, the use of regsvr32.exe raises some concerns. Were you trying to fix your Orbit Downloader when using regsvr32.dll? And, were you trying to reregister the GrabPro.dll file at that time?
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#8 bongripper

bongripper
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2008 - 08:26 AM

I'm not real sure about Error #1, but it seems related to Windows Updates (which I'm not real good with)
Error #2 is a crash of a file related to COD4 - and it appears that the crash occurred because of a memory access issue
Error #3 is a crash of regsvr32.exe in GrabPro.dll because of a memory access issue.

So, IMO, there's several likely scenarios:
1) a malware infection
2) a problem with your video - either the drivers or the card
3) a problem with Windows

BUT, the use of regsvr32.exe raises some concerns. Were you trying to fix your Orbit Downloader when using regsvr32.dll? And, were you trying to reregister the GrabPro.dll file at that time?

I was trying to install Orbit Downloader on my PC, but when I tried to it gave me this error message:

CoCreateInstance failed; code 0x80040154. Class not registered.

I'm not sure if the regsvr32.exe thing has to do with Orbit or not, but I do know when I try to install any programs it always has something about Registry or Registration. As far as COD 4, and every other app on my comp besides Firefox. They all do not work, either they go to a black screen, pop up an error message with a blank box, or just don't run period. I've noticed upon startup, if I go into the TaskManager, I can see Xfire.exe/Steam.exe all running, but they will not function on my desktop or taskbar, it's as if it isn't even there, but it's running.

#9 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,076 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2008 - 08:44 AM

Please go to this link and run a free scan on your system: http://housecall.trendmicro.com
Let us know the results of the scan - or if the scan won't run.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#10 bongripper

bongripper
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2008 - 10:33 AM

Please go to this link and run a free scan on your system: http://housecall.trendmicro.com
Let us know the results of the scan - or if the scan won't run.

Well when it said "Installation Failed" when I clicked "Run" from the Java pop-up I got kind of scared. I don't know if it updated/installed correctly. I am still at the scan window, and I believe it is letting me scan. It says preparing in the status bar on the right, and on the main window it says "Please wait while HouseCall scans your system...". So hopefully it's working. Now it says scanning files and folders. I will let you know the results after it is done scanning.

If my PC ever does recover, or even if I have to Format, what Antivirus/Antispyware/Antimalware/Antiadware/etc. would you suggest I purchase/download. I obviously don't want my PC raped of it's resources like Norton does, but I still would like it to be very good at what it's supposed to do. Thank you for your interest in helping me.

Edited by bongripper, 21 September 2008 - 10:40 AM.

#11 bongripper

bongripper
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2008 - 11:10 AM

I think something is wrong, when it gets to Stage 3 of the scan "Listing and removing detected infections and vulnerabilities" it shows only this:

"Clean Now" button and to the side of the button it says, Removes all infections found on your machine, according to the options selected. That is all that is on the entire page. When clicking the "Clean Now" button it gives me a pop up message stating this, "For some infections, no removal option was selected. Do you really want to take no action on these infections on your machine?".

What should I do? As far as I can see there are no options to select regarding the removal of these problems, nor are the problems themselves stated.

Edited by bongripper, 21 September 2008 - 11:12 AM.

#12 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2008 - 11:28 AM

I don't remember what the window looks like. Let me do a quick scan so I can see what you're talking about
Mark
Posted Image

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits

#13 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2008 - 12:45 PM

I get the same window. I just close it out Let's move you to the Am I Infected forum for a second opinion
Mark
Posted Image

#14 bongripper

bongripper
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2008 - 01:02 PM

Ok. What should I do now?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users